Microsoft scared

Story: $100 PC project will "invigorate Linux desktop push"Total Replies: 2
Author Content
bstadil

Jan 30, 2006
9:33 PM EDT
This effort is way underplayed in the linux community. It is a HUGE deal. This will change the client OS landscape in Linux's favor by 2007 if succesfull. The units planned is 5-10MU this year and 100Mu+ the following year. FYI the WW shipments of laptops in 2005 was 42Mu.

This will disrupt the computing infrastructure in each of the countries that has the foresight to participate. 7 at last count.

MS knows this and is frantically trying to figure out how to block it. If you have any doubt how scared they are read this article from NYT today http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/30/technology/30gates.html?_r...

At Davos Bill Gates demoed a MOCK-UP mobile phone attached to a TV with attached keyboard just to have something to show.

PS: Read about the program before you comment so as to avoid the usual /. "insightful" nonsense comments about feeding the starving children first.
number6x

Jan 31, 2006
5:42 AM EDT
I'd love to buy two of those $100.00 laptops for $250.00 each!

I'd give them to my grade school age children to use. The extra cash could help to fund the program for kids in underdeveloped countries.

Come on, $250.00 is less than a new ipod. Less than most of us spend on coffee a year.
cjcox

Jan 31, 2006
9:50 AM EDT
Microsoft has been scared since about 1994. You'll just have to trust me on that :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!