They're choosing for practical reasons, not political ones

Story: Open for anything: Loss of advocate doesn't stall push for standardsTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
AnonymousCoward

Jan 31, 2006
3:00 PM EDT
This may be hard for Microsoft to understand.

It may be even harder for them to fight; the question "Why don't you just use the standard file format?" probably triggers a tic in many of the people higher up in MS-Office's food chain.

Being caught red-handed while trying to trash the career of an official who's just doing their job -- and doing it well -- is not going to look good on their resume, either. Public officials worldwide will be asking themselves questions like "Do I really want these meddling, backstabbing sods running my IT section?"

The result will be that in many cases Microsoft won't even get to find out that "their" people are switching away. This already happens, but every action that they take like this is a message to their customers saying "We're the scorpion, you're the frog." http://allaboutfrogs.org/stories/scorpion.html
tadelste

Jan 31, 2006
6:44 PM EDT
A.C.: The stuff has hit the fan big time because of the Abramoff mess. Everyone one has gotten caught with their pants down. And, politicans are starting to back off of helping MS. Ralph Reed was on Enron's payroll while he worked on the Bush campaign and was paid by Microsoft. Abramoff's personal assistant went to work in the same position for Karl Rove. DeLay had 400 Lobbyists working with him, writing legislation, paying people off. The Democrats couldn't even get enough support to stop Alito.

Consider that someone paid for David Boise to represent Gore in the Florida recount fiasco. How long do you think it took the Bush administration to dismiss their lead prosecutor? Gore was broke, but suddenly here comes this high profile attorney, who happens to be prosecuting Microsoft to help Gore.

The whole political system is in flux at the moment. People are ducking. When more comes out, Mitt Romney better be at complete odds with Microsoft. Abramoff and Reed by themselves had hundreds of politicians in their pocket and people are starting to wade through the evidence. It's like when they figured out how to decode Al Capone's payoff ledger. Imagine being one of the people who took money from his gang.
number6x

Feb 01, 2006
3:46 AM EDT
tadelste,

I'm having my morning coffee, looking out my back window. Across the alley and two buildings North, I see a 12-flat apartment building long gone condo.

I often think about the fact that Al Capone's accountant used to live there.

Poor Schmuck. If he had a better accountant, they wouldn't have ever gotten Capone on tax fraud.

Here's hoping all crooked politicians, of whatever party, have bad accountants!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!