I would only add...

Story: The Two Faces of Microsoft: Pervasive Brand RecognitionTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
chris

Feb 03, 2006
2:18 PM EDT
Until recently, there have been few ways of letting Microsoft know that you don't want to do business with someone of their reputation.

Reputation can be from historical behavior that is no longer practiced. I don't like businesses that have done evil, however if they change their ways I may be inclined to forgive them. (IBM, for instance, is a much better citizen today than 30 years ago. Or so it seems.)

To those aware of the actions of a company doing wrong, what is worse than a bad reputation is the ongoing behavior that earned it in the first place. I especially strive to avoid doing business with companies that fully realize the evil they are doing yet willing choose to continue doing it. Rather than changing their behavior, they try to change the public's perception of their behavior. Underhanded, unfair, misleading, or subversive behaviors are no way to combat a well-earned bad reputation.
dcparris

Feb 03, 2006
2:51 PM EDT
I agree with the need to leave the past in the past. We've all done things in the past that we have learned from and moved on. Forgiveness is an essential value in any relationship, business or personal.
tadelste

Feb 03, 2006
3:56 PM EDT
Well I can identify with the sentiment, but they haven't changed and I believe they still do what they've always done only worse. That's my view of it and I could be totally wrong.

The IBM of 30 years ago couldn't exist today. They had no competition and what little competition they did have was easy to blow away.

Microsoft plays in an environment where one fifth of the people on this planet have computers. I dare say all the businesses have them.

So, the fact that they elevate in such an efficient market has to make you wonder. I wonder because I don't care for their products. I just don't see how Windows et al command as large a portion of the market based on technological evaluation. I could see a couple of points above everyone else for being great at marketing but not with their product mix.

dcparris

Feb 03, 2006
4:06 PM EDT
I would not suggest forgiving anyone until their behavior is changed. That's why I don't use Microsoft's software. Of course, I no longer use proprietary software, period. Still, if Microsoft's behavior changes, then I would have to applaud them for their changed behavior. I actually doubt we will see that happen, but anything is possible.
jdixon

Feb 03, 2006
4:56 PM EDT
> I actually doubt we will see that happen, but anything is possible.

Agreed, and all it would take would be a change in management. That's still at least a few years away, but it is possible.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!