Gaining Popularity

Story: Linux urged to be more user-friendlyTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
CptnObvious999

Feb 12, 2006
1:28 PM EDT
Actually it has been gaining popularity almost since the linux kernel was started on. The proper wording would be something like "Linux has a long way to gay for being the majority operating system". Also a lot of people think they like Windows over Linux because Linux is different and they confuse this with usability or just don't want to learn how to use something different. Plus with all the Microsoft FUD going around they probly will have a bad perception of Linux before they even try it out so if you start to try Linux with a bad view on it to begin with it is less likely you will like it once you have tested it.
tadelste

Feb 12, 2006
2:51 PM EDT
CptnObvious999: What he's saying is this: The Linux Kernel should be freely distributed. He's the keep note speaker for heaven's sake.
Abe

Feb 12, 2006
2:53 PM EDT
Quoting:Linux urged to be more user-friendly
I doubt that the professor knows what he is talking about, may be he hasn't used linux for a few years.

He should have said "Linux continues to make tremendous progress" instead. This is 2006 professor. Linux already surpassed Windows in ease of use in various aspects of user friendlyness. Installation from scratch can't be simpler than what it is using LiveCD. Management tools cover all aspects of areas the professor can think off. Application installation is a snap using Synaptic and tools like Yast. It is all point and click. Peripheral detection and device driver of being a problem is hardly mentioned any more. The features that the desktop GUI has that Windows doesn't is considered superior to Windows. So what is the professor referring to? The availability of applications? I can hardly attribute that to Linux.

Quoting:The developers should allow free distribution of kernel.
Any one knows what is he talking about? Is he serious? How could the developers make the kernel more free than it already is? Is he asking to remove the GPL so he doesn't have to contribute back? I say fat chance.
tadelste

Feb 12, 2006
2:57 PM EDT
Abe: we're talking a keynote speaker now. Should we try to second guess the guy. I suggest we talk a politically correct position on this. Say nothing, do nothing and have nothing. Holy Cow. I mean, Holy mutton.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!