This is good news.

Story: Terrorist Alert: Microsoft reveals piracy battle plan for the UKTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
cr

Feb 20, 2006
8:23 AM EDT
The 'pirates' are merely the latest in a long list of former technology-and-distribution partners whom Microsoft no longer feels it necessary to tolerate on their turf now that they've achieved ubiquity. Microsoft demanding that everybody using their software pay up pronto will make their prices more publicly visible even as it dries up avenues for avoiding those prices. As the price of Microsoft software becomes more visible ("It costs what to have Windows preinstalled on my new machine?!"), more people will seriously reevaluate whether it's worth the price. This can only help push FLOSS adoption past the tipping-point.
tadelste

Feb 20, 2006
8:48 AM EDT
Just to build on your post, some people do not realize that if you were a Solution Provider, they gave you software with your annual fee. If you dropped them, you become a target. Your licenses may have lapsed.
cr

Feb 20, 2006
9:10 AM EDT
What a superlative way to drive former allies into the opposing camps! I commend them on their exit strategy -- it seems as well-crafted as SCO's.
tadelste

Feb 20, 2006
2:20 PM EDT
cr: I know that people hate it when we compare Microsoft to the nazi's and the SS in particular. Afterall, the nazi's killed people out in the open.

But Microsoft is like the cigarette industry. Microsoft ruins people's lives by killing jobs and putting very low level people on administrative tasks, hurting productivity, stopping innovation, etc. So, people suffer a slow death. I know there's a difference but when you're 75 years old, what difference will it make, really?
jdixon

Feb 20, 2006
3:05 PM EDT
> But Microsoft is like the cigarette industry.

That is a very apt analogy.
tadelste

Feb 20, 2006
3:35 PM EDT
Do you apt like in mentally quick and resourceful;

or at risk of or subject to experiencing something usually unpleasant ?

jdixon

Feb 20, 2006
3:53 PM EDT
> Do you apt like in mentally quick and resourceful;

Well, since the OED isn't at hand, my Webster's gives the definition of "appropriate; fitting".

> or at risk of or subject to experiencing something usually unpleasant ?

Well, with Microsoft, that's always a possibility. :)
tadelste

Feb 20, 2006
8:44 PM EDT
Very good!
salparadise

Feb 21, 2006
12:52 AM EDT
I suspect they might find a little more in the way of bloody minded contrariness and general apathy in the UK than they bargained for.
jdixon

Feb 21, 2006
2:23 AM EDT
Sal:

Let's hope so. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!