a key quote

Story: Linux taken for a ride in the Old WestTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
jsusanka

Feb 21, 2006
5:26 AM EDT
"OpenOffice, so if you have basic word-processing or spreadsheet activities that don't need to be shared with someone that uses a different product, you should try OpenOffice - it's simple to use.""

this is why odf is soooo important - it will give a level playing field and will give people the choice of using their favorite word processor without worrying how it is going to look when shared.

this is why microsoft is so against odf - they hide behind the guise of intellectual property but that has nothing to do with it. It is all about locking in their customers to their products and maintaining their monopoly.

odf is awesome and everyone should get behind - both window users and open source users. for once we would have a format for word processing without having to buy one companies product.

Think of what this would do in an emergency like katrina and you need to get to some info but all your windows machines are down as usual.

Also think of the possibilities on handhelds - companies could write their word processors for only one format and it would cut down on the bloat and the user could read anything or share anything.

And people would chose their word processor on the quality and speed instead of bloat and features that they don't need.

so everyone that has to do with IT should be promoting ODF - period - no excuses.
AnonymousCoward

Feb 21, 2006
6:09 AM EDT
They can use OpenOffice anyway. I do. I don't have MS-Office anywhere, and have never had a problem exporting a document original to me. I might be unusual in that I have some clue what a stylesheet is for and I don't indent/center things with spaces and so on, but still...
tadelste

Feb 21, 2006
7:05 AM EDT
AC: I do everything in OpenOffice except for busting pdf's.

I writing my second book with it and using the style sheet my publisher's tool people developed for it. The JDS Linux book was written with OOo.

Sharepoint? Anyone can do that and it doesn't take a genius to create something like that.

You do have to admit, those cute little editorial comments in Word XP that appear when you make changes are worth $379 especially when they don't show up in earlier versions of M$Office.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!