Pointless

Story: Opinion: Why Windows Vista will suckTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
Libervis

Mar 02, 2006
8:04 PM EDT
I must say that, though there may be some good points in it, this editorial by SJVN is a good bit of a stretch. I've taken a look at some of the comments on both the ExtremeTech and this SJVN story and I can agree that, unfortunately, SJVN article is of lower quality, under researched and at least somewhat flawed.

But the thing is that this whole contest of which is technically better, windows or GNU/Linux is actually pretty pointless. Even if Windows Vista gets to be the best operating system world has ever seen that has no match anywhere (if they'd ever be able to pull a miracle like that off), it would still be proprietary and you'll still be serving Microsoft instead yourself!

I might sound like an idealist freak, again, but I don't care and I'll say it "out loud". Guys, it is not about the technicalities, it is about FREEDOM! If you have freedom, you have control over your computing. You don't depend on whatever MS throws at you, no matter how beautiful or how ugly that is. The mere fact that you'll still be in a cage with Microsoft can be nothing but ugly, even if the cage is made of gold.

No matter what Vista ends up to be, it will have nothing worth switching back from a free operating system that I have freedom with. They can even impress me with all the cool mumbo jumbo they may have, but in the end, what matters the most is that I am in control, not the Microsoft showmen. No, they wont control the software I use ever again.

And that's in my opinion the best way SJVN can respond to that ExtremeTech story. Just say "I don't care about your flashy stuff because I want freedom, not the flashy stuff" And sure as hell you can do your job well enough with GNU/Linux too. And if you like the flashy stuff, hey, this freedom allows you to help develop it, whatever you wish, you are in control, you have the freedom, find the code you want to improve and build on it. Create something even better than MS can offer. Just please don't abandon your freedom.

That's it.

Cheers Daniel

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!