Offense, not defense

Story: Free software 'not anti-capitalist'Total Replies: 4
Author Content
ralph

Mar 16, 2006
8:52 PM EDT
It was a nice article, but the emphasis was not right. Can any reasonable person think that free software is anti-capitalist? I don't think so. The main anti-capitalist force in software today is the abusive monopolist who keeps getting the government to step in and defend them. They should not continue to have the power to destroy free markets the way they do. Free software is about the only hope the free market has in the next few years.
grouch

Mar 16, 2006
9:43 PM EDT
Hear, hear!

There is no way of knowing how many businesses have not even gotten off the ground because of the illegal tactics used by that monopoly that have gone almost unpunished.

Free software does not distinguish between individuals as users and businesses as users; it protects users' freedoms while providing peer-reviewed, highest quality software.
tuxtom

Mar 16, 2006
9:46 PM EDT
I think your point of view extends to democracy in general, not just software. Orwell was a prophet, I hate to admit.
Herschel_Cohen

Mar 17, 2006
7:50 AM EDT
tt - I think Kafka got the picture a bit more accurately. On Orwell do you have in mind the: "Wet Your Pants Cowards - Please Protect Me Act"?
tuxtom

Mar 18, 2006
10:20 PM EDT
Herschel: Don't even get me started. But the answer is yes. Protecting the rights (read: wrongs) of fictitious persons has become more important than protecting the rights of the citizenry. Imagine a boot stomping on a human face...

BTW: I am an American citizen, born and raised.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!