The author is actually not giving Microsoft their due credit

Story: Microsoft sets Apple straight on securityTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
jdixon

Mar 23, 2006
5:11 AM EDT
As I pointed out to the author in email, Microsoft isn't actually trying to tell Apple how to produce a secure program (an area in which they have no experience). They're telling them how to handle a security failure. This is a field in which Microsoft is arguably the world's foremost authority.
Herschel_Cohen

Mar 23, 2006
6:36 AM EDT
OK, jd - Let's say I accept your premise conditionally. Now explain to me how PR takes care of a security flaw when you do not have the market clout Microsoft holds to bash anyone that might explain why the message is pure b.s.?

I am waiting ...
jdixon

Mar 23, 2006
7:10 AM EDT
HC:

> Now explain to me how PR takes care of a security flaw...

I didn't say it did. I simply said that Microsoft is arguably the world's foremost authority on dealing with security flaws; not that they fixed them, or even handled them effectively. It's called a back handed compliment. :)

However, within its market I believe Apple has even more clout than Microsoft, so I suspect they could use the same tactics if they chose to do so. The fact that they don't tells you all need to know about the relative security of OSX vs. Windows.
Herschel_Cohen

Mar 23, 2006
10:48 AM EDT
jd - before I took this position as Junior Editor-in-Training, I bargained hard. Moreover, I slipped the clause in that only I and I alone am allowed to tell jokes. Everyone else here are just supposed to feed me straight person lines. Get it?

Check it out. Ask whomever you like to get confirmation. I wouldn't lie to you [hide]much[/hide].
jdixon

Mar 23, 2006
11:05 AM EDT
> I slipped the clause in that only I and I alone am allowed to tell jokes.

I think you'll find that non-employees aren't covered by the contract. A minor detail that they managed to slip by you, and I'm sure it wasn't done on purpose. :) However, if you decide you need help in pulling a practical joke on Tom or Dave in retaliation, you know where to find me. :)
sharkscott

Mar 23, 2006
11:12 AM EDT
jd - Forgive Herschel.

He has not been feeling well and since we have yet to receive the "new" medication we have requested and he so desperately needs, as you can tell he gets a little "uppity".

Put the coffee beans down Herschel!

Herschel_Cohen

Mar 23, 2006
12:23 PM EDT
Dave look at all the trouble you got me into, your "hide" code didn't work and now everyone out there thinks I am a liar. I know that's not problem if you are a big name politician or hot shot Journalist, but I am just an upstart ...

[Dave:] you used the wrong code it's invisible, how many times do I have to repeat it. You got yourself in trouble by not hitting the preview button.

Look, with my seen as a liar: how am I going to sell any of my bridge and tunnel assignment? The fee I pay every month to be trained as a Junior Editor and staff writer is killing me. And I am just not making the sales ...

[Dave:] Paying for training?

Yeah, send a certified check to Tom first of every month. I guess he gets a cut. Tom made this deal where I can reduce the fee, by recruiting good editors. Grouch turned me down flat and that Shark is short of cash, so I will be credited once he catches up with his payments.

[Dave:] You just stick with it, and keep sending your checks you will make it big time. We will kill the comment thread showing you are a liar. Deal?

Deal!

Let me try that: I am here to make you the deal of a lifetime [/invisible]and suck every dime that you ever owned or will own[/invisible] by selling your a percentage of these prime pieces of infrastructure.

I wish it were that easy and I got that big of a return. Well I can dream, can't I? What's this about a preview button?

Now i got to go back and answer those two yo-yos. Gosh one's proud of having no nose and the other is high on drugs. The work i have to do - I will let it go until tomorrow, maybe the thread will be gone by then.
grouch

Mar 23, 2006
12:51 PM EDT
Whose turn is it to watch Herschel? C'mon, 'fess up. You're falling down on your job.
sharkscott

Mar 23, 2006
1:35 PM EDT
I just came back down, what's going on?

Oh Yeah, that's my job. Since I'm the "Night Manager" around here.

I finally got the "medication" I'm supposed to give him, its really good!

Oops.
Herschel_Cohen

Mar 23, 2006
1:49 PM EDT
Scott quit taking that stuff, I warned you it was going to affect you adversely. I think I will wait for jd. Need some originality around here. Not that i have high hopes, but ... sigh. Probably give me another of those :). Tell me is he an alien or something?
jdixon

Mar 23, 2006
3:37 PM EDT
You know, if I didn't know better, I'd say we've all had a dose or two of that "medication".
Herschel_Cohen

Mar 23, 2006
5:16 PM EDT
grouch - my apogies, I missed your second line. It has just a bit of truth to it. Implications I am a drunk, maybe on punch - but that's it. Last time I can recall any alcoholic beverage was May of last year. Moreover, I did not finish the serving. However, the text has a meaning that is applicable: I am having real problems completing an article and I am here harassing the visitors in my frustration. All too true. Maybe its due to my over dosing on spicy cheese flavored tortilla chips. You know I think that's it.

So the rest of you guys, you go get some rest. I think you need it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!