My enemy's enemy is my friend?

Story: Venezuela promotes free open-source software as alternative to ...Total Replies: 11
Author Content
booster

Mar 25, 2006
1:49 AM EDT
I can't understand you guys. Hugo Chavez is a no good communist, plain and simple. The fact that he's promoting FOSS in Venezuela has nothing to do with freedom or openness, it's all part of his red propaganda. Do we really want to be seen around with people like him? He's transforming Venezuela into a communist country, and although he's doing rather gradually, he's nonetheless doing it. You have no idea what that means because you've never experienced it and you think he's so brave for standing against Microsoft and other corporations. So I would say you should stop promoting propaganda-driven deployment of FOSS.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 25, 2006
3:32 AM EDT
We do not promote. We create, edit and present information, this is what we do.

LXer is not a political website, we are an information website. This article was posted because it is newsworthy to those who follow Linux and FOSS.

The political leanings of the country where the news originates is not taken into consideration, ever. We post articles that originate from all over the world, and we will continue to do so.

Choosing to not present information based on the political leanings of the country that an article originates from is an anathema to our purpose.
tadelste

Mar 25, 2006
6:33 AM EDT
You might want to read our terms of service.

I don't think Syria or Iran qualify as communist countries and because of their economic sanctions they have turned to Free Software. Iran says it will annihilate a soverign nation.

I personally don't do well with labels.
grouch

Mar 25, 2006
11:37 AM EDT
I don't know what criteria the editors use, but when I'm looking for a news story to suggest, it boils down to:

1. Does it relate to Linux? No => discard

2. Is it credible? No => discard

3. Is it useful?

4. Is it interesting?

5. Has it already been posted on LXer?

I don't care about the politics of the originator of the story, except as they may have an effect on answers to the above questions. Code in free software may be fixed and adapted by the individual. Political and economic structures are harder to debug, especially from a distance.
Libervis

Mar 25, 2006
1:29 PM EDT
How else would you know that someone is spreading propaganda if you don't see it in the news. How else would we know if Chavez uses FOSS to spread something bad unless it was in the news.

Keeping us informed, that's what news sites are about. They can't just reject to inform the public of the news favoring certain political party or limit to publishing only news favoring what this site formally supports (Free Software).

This is why this story is published and why even many anti-FOSS stories are published as well. Even FUD get's trough here just so that we can all effectively rebutt it in comments and even consequently write a rebuttal article.

So, let the free news keep coming, so that we keep our awareness up and know how to respond.

Thanks Daniel
tadelste

Mar 25, 2006
4:32 PM EDT
Daniel, well put.
booster

Mar 28, 2006
11:01 AM EDT
Well, I'll have to say you're right, sorry for my attitude. I think I'm paranoid ;-) But how about this one: http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=57022

and I quote:

"open source is an alternative to capitalism

Open source provides the basis for an non market, non state, economic alternative that promotes ecology, justice and human creativity. This review first published in Red Pepper magazine should be of interest to anarchist and direct action activists. "

Of course, the rest of the article is somewhat about free/open source but who takes anarchists seriously?

One article I read on this site succeeded in proving, with solid arguments, that open source is capitalism in its purest form. So which one is it now?

Also, it sure is something when the whole administration of a country switches to free/open source applications, for any reason. But I can't see how relevant is "anarchists and direct action activists use free/open source" :))

And just so that you know, I'm in the process of totally switching to free/open source, no matter what. I still have the most important switch ahead of me but when I'm finished, I promise to write a nice article about it.
jimf

Mar 28, 2006
11:48 AM EDT
Quoting:Open source provides the basis for an non market, non state, economic alternative that promotes ecology, justice and human creativity.

Sounds fine to me... So your point is?

look booster, FOSS and the GPL provide enforcable guidelines for the ethical use of software. The GPL describes how software can and cant be used in a for profit situation. None of this prohibits making a profit 'if you follow the rules'.

cjcox

Mar 28, 2006
3:17 PM EDT
AFAIK, Venezuela is already Cuba-junior and Chavez a mere puppet of Castro.... but... that wouldn't make it wrong for him/them to use FOSS???

Hey.. I don't like the dude either. But I can't fault his choice with regards to Linux and FOSS.

Now.. if a Linux powered nuke gets hurled at us... I might change my mind... at least with Windows it would simply blow up on the launch pad.

grouch

Mar 28, 2006
3:47 PM EDT
I don't like Microsoft; they're too damaging. We should add a clause to the GPL that prohibits the use of GPL software by any employee, associate, or partner of Microsoft.

I don't like people who talk on cell phones while driving; they're too dangerous. We should add a clause to the GPL that prohibits the use of GPL software by anyone who has driven or intends to drive while talking on a cell phone.

I don't like the people who currently call themselves "liberal" and "conservative"; they're too extreme. We should add a clause to the GPL that prohibits the use of GPL software by anyone calling themselves "liberal" or "conservative".

Silly enough yet? Control of Venezuela's politics is not a goal of the GPL, nor, to my knowledge, a goal of any open source software. Reporting about Venezuela's use of open source software by LXer does not constitute endorsement or criticizm of Venezuela's political system by LXer.

Click that "About" link at the top of the page. I can't find anything in there about promoting or discouraging any specific form of government.
jdixon

Mar 28, 2006
4:21 PM EDT
> Now.. if a Linux powered nuke gets hurled at us...

Wouldn't that count as distributing their code, and trigger the clause requiring them to make their modifications available? :) Do you suppose they would include a CD with the modified code in the warhead, or would they put it up on the web?

sharkscott

Mar 28, 2006
5:37 PM EDT
If the circumstances that led the country of Venezuela to choose Open Source Software are a dislike of Microsoft then so be it.

Why someone or an entire country would choose to use Open Source Software is inconsequencial, it is IF someone or an entire country uses it that makes a difference.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!