Microsofts Obligation

Story: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer hints at possibility of Microsoft litigating against LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
maggrand

Mar 26, 2006
5:05 AM EDT
The only obligation Microsoft has is too earn money to there shareholders. I don't anyone wan't another SCO reprise. Well go ahaed then and see your share fall like a rock. Then your shareholders will be sooooo happy (not)
richo123

Mar 26, 2006
5:14 AM EDT
Yeah SCO2 (but 100 times as big) seems a possibility. Vista appears to be in trouble and soon Wall Street will be on their backs. Monopolies always run into strife sooner or later. The bigger they are the harder they fall.

Not to be paranoid but I wonder whether this is why they have been targetting IBM lately?
Bob_Robertson

Mar 26, 2006
12:03 PM EDT
The strange thing is that IBM is making good money doing software/hardware support. Microsoft could get into that same business. They, like Apple, could admit that the OS has become a commodity, and spend their time writing Office for Linux and providing support contracts.

Just as Maggrand points out, the officers of Microsoft have no duty other than maximizing shareholder value. I consider those officers negligent exactly because they are clinging to a failed business model and they are going to take the shareholders value with them.
grouch

Mar 26, 2006
12:21 PM EDT
The officers of Microsoft also have a duty to abide by law and ethics. I see absolutely no evidence that they consider those duties of any importance. They violate law and ethics, as evidenced over and over in courts and reports around the world. Their ethics resemble those of gangsters and thugs, using terror tactics to dissuade customers from choosing anything except Microsoft. They use extortion in that they deliberately increase the costs of choosing anything but Microsoft by holding customers' data hostage to secret file formats.
jimf

Mar 26, 2006
1:21 PM EDT
Corporations, at very least the large ones (some say that includes Government) are simply big gangs, groups of thugs as it were. To mention 'Obligation' is only describing what they can get away with.
tadelste

Mar 26, 2006
1:48 PM EDT
Quoting:The officers of Microsoft also have a duty to abide by law and ethics.

maggrand:use your head for something other than a hat rack.
tuxtom

Mar 27, 2006
2:38 PM EDT
A quote I once read about Microsoft:

"You can make millions without exploiting, but not billions."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!