Not until...

Story: With Microsoft in Chaos, Our Moment Has ArrivedTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
helios

Mar 28, 2006
2:27 PM EDT
The distro wars are over and at least three of the distro developers make available a mini-distro.

I have spent dozens of hours in our schools and retirement communities watching people interact with PCLinuxOS. If we set it up for them, simplify the menus and taskbar/desktop, everything is fine. Present them with the desktop as is upon install, and you can see the confusion surface as they explore the menus and sub-menus..

Many have wrote us and said "if they're too stupid to figure it out, They need Windows." I wonder if these same people would allow their loved ones to struggle under such a burden. Truth be told, there are only a handful of apps and programs the casual user has a need for. The problem is, when a pop-up appears and says "your computer is not operating at full capacity, click here to fix it." Some of them do. With a Linux system, this would not lead to the disaster it usually does. Make the main apps available on the desktop and taskbar, then have the other ones in the menu bar but listed as "intermediate user" and so on. Linspire has come the closest to doing this, but letting the user run as root does not sit well with me and many others

These are only a couple of ideas...we are looking for others. http://www.lobby4linux.com. We're discussing it in the forums.
jimf

Mar 28, 2006
2:40 PM EDT
Well, you guys at PCLinuxOS seem to see this as 'the issue', why not produce a sub-Distro, a ' PCLOS for dummies' so to speak, or 'PCLOS home version' if you prefer. Just like the dummies books were a raving sucess (they were you know), I'm not putting anyone down here, but, people have different levels of capabilities and a dummed down interface would very likely be a hit with your ma and pop user base. I just have no intrest in doing support for that group.
helios

Mar 28, 2006
3:15 PM EDT
Well, We are trying to get some interest in that area, it is being discussed and planned to a lesser degree. I take no issue with anyone who doesn't wish to help those who need it the most. There are plenty who have the patience and concern to do so.
grouch

Mar 28, 2006
3:35 PM EDT
A simplified interface is NOT a "dumbed-down" interface! It's a universal interface. The same "apps" are used by most people, regardless of their understanding of computers and software. The difference is that people who are well-versed with software and who have special needs are able to build on the simplified interface to satisfy those special needs.

The basic functions for which people use computers should be readily at hand by default. This greatly simplifies usage by people who do not know how to customize the computer while not hindering those who do know how. IMO, this is far more logical than any other logic tree used for menu systems. You don't have to hunt for the steering wheel in a car.
jimf

Mar 28, 2006
6:33 PM EDT
grouch,

'If' we were talking cars, or toasters, that would be true... but we ain't. The difference between a 'dumbed down interface' and a well designed one is very tenuous. I designed interfaces for custom machinery for a lot of years and while it is necessary to have basic functions standardized, that doesn't even begin to cut it when you get into the more complex stuff. Computer OS are certainly in that category.

The Ideal interface allows less experienced users the simple functions up front while not isolating the more sophisticated tools from the experienced user. Not an easy task at all and one that almost always ends up with a compromise one way or an other. It's my observation that most times it ends up limiting, or at least inconveniencing, the power user significantly.

Bottom line is 'there is no ideal universal interface', except, as a pie in the sky concept. The best choice, from an engineering standpoint, is to have separate interfaces for the basic and the advanced user. and yes, that basic interface is then 'dumbed down'... sorry (well not really), be offended if you want, but at least that concept will work.
grouch

Mar 28, 2006
10:56 PM EDT
That "power user" will have no trouble whatsoever in customizing his/her desktop in Linux.

Placing the common, basic functions in plain view and easy reach does not in any way hamper anyone who chooses to alter that desktop.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!