Pop-UPs

Story: Ibm Announces 'Migrate to the Penguin' InitiativeTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
pat

Apr 03, 2006
4:14 PM EDT
Getting Pop-ups on this site. Even with pop-up blocking.
Herschel_Cohen

Apr 03, 2006
5:08 PM EDT
All I saw was about four request to set cookies, I allowed three for the session only and denied the last. Now I am using Firefox and this is a set option, i.e. In the menu: Edit > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies > "Allow sites to set cookies" > "Unless I removed cookies set by the site", then just below I specified "Ask every time". Note this is for Firefox 1.5 series; it might differ on the 1.0.x versions. Moreover, I have no idea how other browsers might be seeing.

If you are using Firefox, I suspect this is what might be happening to you. If not, are you seeing advertisements? Where on the page?
pat

Apr 03, 2006
9:06 PM EDT
Not getting them now. Must be one of their advertisers doing an end-run around the pop-up blocker.
Herschel_Cohen

Apr 04, 2006
4:00 AM EDT
Still did not tell me what browser, guessing Firefox - Adblock has to be trained and it is not good with Flash. Get Flashblock, then on some sites you cannot believe how many "f"s cover the page. Anytime you wish you can select one you wish to play, e.g. a video.

Some Asian sites seem to be nothing more than wall to wall advertisements, they have so little content I immediately back out. This one on the surface did not appear to follow that pattern.
tadelste

Apr 04, 2006
4:51 AM EDT
We don't have any popups on this site. Our advertisers only have text ads and simple gifs. We once tried intellitext but we shut that down after a short trial period. Depending on the browser you might have collected adware which means using IE. Is it IE?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!