Rarely Addressed, Thank You.

Story: Innovation in Linux: An extraordinary Linux reviewTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Apr 09, 2006
10:17 AM EDT
Even a moderately experienced Linux user (that is, someone who is has compiled a kernel, done some distribution upgrades, wrestled successfully with hardware) going to Windows will find themselves disfunctionally restricted. It's easy to say that "Linux is scary" compared to Windows, because of the greater functionality, flexibility and control, but the reverse is closing and locking the prison door on ones self.

What a simple thing, tossed into this article without a second thought, to follow along by the reader examining the Linux kernel compile options themselves. In Windows, that is IMPOSSIBLE.

As somewhat experienced Linux people, it's easy to overstate the functionality and flexibility to a prospective Windows-using convert. Doing so scares them, because then they think they MUST compile their own kernel (for example). The idea of merely opening the Windows Registry is enough to send most Windows users into apoplexy of worry that they might break something and have to reinstall everything. Again.

The first objection out of most prospective converts mouths is, "I am not competent to recompile my own software." Microsoft Marketing department success at its finest.

Bob-
jimf

Apr 09, 2006
10:44 AM EDT
Again, the MS 'Empire of Ignorance'. The less they know, the more dependant they are.
tuxchick2

Apr 12, 2006
1:50 PM EDT
metoo to both comments! Great article.
gnu_mike

Apr 14, 2006
1:28 PM EDT
Should post this to /. and other sites... it's worthy.
hkwint

Apr 14, 2006
3:29 PM EDT
Already posted it to some sites myself, and /. usually doesn't post our stuff, but all efforts are very, very welcome, so thanks!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!