Novell going for broke

Story: Novell To Offer Open Source DesktopTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
richo123

Apr 12, 2006
7:04 AM EDT
This story make clear to me something I suspected. Novell really is very serious about taking on M$ on the desktop in the corporate environment. They are backing it to the hilt. Having used Linux on the desktop for maybe five years a few questions spring to mind:

1) Will it be bugfree enough to avoid annoying a significant number of users?

2) Will the replacement apps for M$ Office in particular be easy enough to use and bugfree enough?

3) How good will Novell be in user support to get through the difficult transition issues of many M$ addicts?

4) Will the looming Vista disaster for M$ be a major selling point for Novell?

Just a few ignorant questions by an outsider....
jimf

Apr 12, 2006
7:34 AM EDT
Well, you're asking the right questions. Only time will tell.
number6x

Apr 12, 2006
8:17 AM EDT
richo,

Shouldn't Novell be adding more bugs in order to meet the average Windows user's expectations of how software should work?

=)
tuxchick2

Apr 12, 2006
10:24 AM EDT
why do they interview a HP veep for a Novell product? Of course he is going to diss a competitor. :)
richo123

Apr 12, 2006
10:56 AM EDT
I think they interviewed the HP veep earlier and when confronted with Novell's confidence he started backpedalling (Novell were targetting a specific set of corporate user not a general desktop market).

number6x: Dunno my experience has been that young OSS is buggier than proprietary stuff but mature OSS is less buggy. Contrast abiword today with 18 months ago.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!