What has this got to do with Linux?

Story: Open source and open medicine take centre stage at UN research symposiumTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
rsheim

Apr 13, 2006
5:55 AM EDT
Not to rock the boat or anything like that but I thought this was a Linux news site. I don't see anything about Debian, Fedora, Suse, the kernel, Linus in the press release linked to here. Just curious.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 13, 2006
7:07 AM EDT
Quoted:

"Research results from several Open Source studies at UNU-MERIT suggest that some countries and institutions have made strides in adopting policies to promote competition among technology providers, and enhance public access to knowledge. In just four years, Extremadura – one of the poorest regions of Spain - successfully invested in creating a free-software society. The model is now being replicated in other poor regions of Spain, as well as in Latin America."

OSS is being used to help people with their standard of living and it is being discussed at the United Nations.

I don't know about you but that sound like OSS news to me.
rsheim

Apr 13, 2006
7:51 AM EDT
You say OSS as the same as Linux? Linux has licensed under the GPL.

So, this article must be Open Source Software news and not Linux news. Yes.

That should answer my question, yes.

I think, I go back to my RSS reader and look for a Linux web site.

Thank you then.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 13, 2006
8:44 AM EDT
Sounds to me like your having a bad day.

How is OSS news 'not' Linux news? How can Linux news be completely separated from OSS news?

I respect that you do not think that this is 'Linux' related but how many other articles posted here would not make the cut?

We post articles that concern all aspects of Linux. If you find articles that you find interesting please submit them to us. I mean this most sincerely, I am sure you have noticed that we post articles that are submitted to us by members everyday. If you think we can do better then help us to do so.

I do not want you to stop visiting LXer just because of this one article.
rsheim

Apr 14, 2006
8:48 AM EDT
Quoting:How is OSS news 'not' Linux news? How can Linux news be completely separated from OSS news?

My day was good not bad.

Is it such an obstacle for you to understand that Linux and Open Source Software are miles a part? OSS news is definitely not Linux news. I decided to register and look at the discussions because of an article I saw from my RSS reader on Firefox. Simply reading the newswire doesn't allow to participate in the discussions.

But as you insult your readers, I think I will not participate in your forum discussions. I also think I will remove your RSS feed from my Wizz RSS.

I guess your writer was not serious afterall. I will avoid his articles when I encounter them.
tuxchick2

Apr 14, 2006
9:05 AM EDT
No need to continue making speeches, just go. Don't let the door hit you.
jimf

Apr 14, 2006
10:19 AM EDT
rsheim,

First of all this is a FOSS site. Linux and the GPL is only a part of that. Secondly, I would suggest that if you are only interested in supporting Linux, you are really living in a very narrow world. As a Debian Linux user, I think that Linux is indeed the best OS choice, but, I also believe that other open software has a place in the scheme of things and should be an acceptable choice, even if it isn't mine. Your Linux 'racism' ends up discrediting all of us as fanatics, and, that does no one any good. You really need to broaden your outlook.
grouch

Apr 16, 2006
2:42 AM EDT
Click the "About" link at the top of the page. Dave talks about "community". Check out http://www.linuxmednews.org/ (LinuxMedNews). Linux _is_ Open Source, just as all GPL (freedom) software is Open Source. There is an overlap of communities.

Open Source and open medicine being discussed at the UN certainly has something to do with Linux.

If you are looking for strictly Linux discussions, please see the Linux Kernel Mailing List. Otherwise, I suggest you read, at least, Dave's points numbered 3., 4., and 5. I think this story fits those.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!