Yeah right...

Story: The Free Software Alternative in a GnutshellTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
stephanfeb

Apr 13, 2006
8:22 PM EDT
... as opposed to Windows which can be installed by anyone including illiterate Grandmas in third world countries.

I don't know of any OS installation that is not better left to those who know what they're doing. If you're taking about ease-of-use or availability of applications, it's astounding what can be found in the Ubuntu Universe.
jimf

Apr 13, 2006
10:38 PM EDT
Quoting:I don't know of any OS installation that is not better left to those who know what they're doing.

Exactly right...

But even given that, at least Mepis, Kanotix, and PCLOS are much 'less' hassle than Windows (any version) to install. Ubuntu, and even Debian require about the same level of expertise. I simply don't know where this belief that Windows is easy to install came from?
mdl

Apr 14, 2006
5:25 AM EDT
"I simply don't know where this belief that Windows is easy to install came from?"

I don't think it is that as much as the fact that, for most users, Windows does not require installation. Using the version of Windows that comes pre-installed on the computer is easier than installing Linux. As long as MS manages to get Windows pre-installed on 99% of new computers Linux will never gain more than a small market penetration.

Also, if you do need to install Windows, it is a whole lot easier to find someone to help or do it for you.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!