One caveat...

Story: Solved! Setting Up Roaming SMTP ServiceTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Sinistral

Apr 17, 2006
7:31 AM EDT
If you have a GMail account, you can take advantage of their SMTP servers as described in this article and in the linked detailed instructions. One important detail to note is that your mail will appear to be from your GMail account, not the e-mail account you may be using otherwise. For instance, if your RoadRunner e-mail was me@somewhere.rr.com, even if you use that as your return-address in the various clients, your email will be otherme@gmail.com.
peragrin

Apr 17, 2006
8:01 AM EDT
If you do that why not simply use Gmail straight up.,either with a regular mail client or with their webmail interface.

I personally use both. I normally use the webmail client but I regularly connect with mail.app(yea my main machine is a powerbook). I leave all mail on gmail but I download a copy of it locally. That way i can easily search all my mail even if i don't have a connection to the net.

devnet

Apr 18, 2006
7:10 AM EDT
Another nifty way of doing this is to use a mail forward service (I've found a couple of free ones) to forward traffic from your dynamic address mailserver to an actual static address mailserver.

I had problems with my mailserver and time warner...I was being blocked by other mailservers so they couldn't get my mail. I could get theirs, they couldn't get mine. Simple workaround...I went to dyndns.org and got some mail forwarding done (it was providing dns for me at the time) and voila! I was set.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!