What world do some of these tech writers live in?

Story: Will Google and Linux make Microsoft yesterday's companyTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
number6x

Apr 17, 2006
9:18 AM EDT
Ok, IBM was the dominant number one company.

Microsoft came along and by the early nineties was the number one seller of OS's for desktop pc's. before OS/2, IBM didn't sell any OS for a desktop pc. They sure didn't sell any in the sixties because there weren't any desktop pc's. IBM wasn't a hobby company, so the seventies were out.

IBM got into that market after Microsoft, and failed to unseat Microsoft. As far as I can recall, Microsoft has never competed with IBM in the Midrange or Mainframe market that IBM controlled before the existence of Microsoft.

Instead, Microsoft developed in a new market space that the corporate giant IBM didn't have products in.

Likewise, Google has not dethroned Microsoft. Google developed a search product for web users. They have built on this by offering other services to web users. Google seems to have hit a sweet spot by offering very good services, along with very light advertising that is not too anoying.

Microsoft did have a search service connected with its MSN business, but this is more like an after thought than a core part of Microsoft's business. Most big businesses have a mail slot in their front door, even though the mail gets delivered to a dock via truck. MSN search was just a check box on some list before Google. The needs of web surfers were not really being met, and Google moved to provide services to an under served market segment.

Kind of Like Linux and low cost x86 based enterprise servers. Nobody had a reliable product, and Linux filled that market segment.

Do they even believe half the things they write?
billbar

Apr 17, 2006
10:03 AM EDT
I don't think you have to worry too much about Microsoft.

First, they have enough money to buy any legislation they want and every politician is for sale.

Second, after having used Linux for 10 years, every variety, I can tell you that you have to have some compelling reason to use it that makes it worth all the hassle.

Maybe the largest tactical error the Linux community ever made was posturing as a threat to Microsoft. Now Gates is going to come down hard. Just took over China.

My quarrel with these so-called tech writers is that they conveniently ignore that Microsoft gained power by muscling vendors, not technical excellence. I recall warning letters that DR-DOS would harm my system and I bit. These kinds of tactics will always prevail with a gullible and uninformed public.

number6x

Apr 17, 2006
10:31 AM EDT
Microsoft was the one that said Linux was a threat (in their DOJ trial).

My point was that Linux and Microsoft were pretty much operating in different market segments.

Microsoft concentrated on the desktop.

Linux is a stable, secure, scalable, speedy operating system used for servers.

Microsoft produces entertainment tools, Linux produces enterprise tools.

They really don't go head to head in many categories.
grouch

Apr 17, 2006
7:31 PM EDT
number6x:

Torvalds didn't begin writing Linux to create servers. He didn't want MS on his computer and couldn't afford UNIX. Stallman didn't begin GNU to aid servers. He just wanted free(dom) Unix.

GNU/Linux was first used on personal desktops by hackers just because they're the only ones who could. It just so happens that the proper way for software to develop, as opposed to the Bill's way, makes it suitable for servers before it becomes friendly to those who want clicky appliances they can't break and can understand how to use without reading the owner's manual. (You know -- turn key, push go pedal, point nose between ditches, push stop pedal -- that kind of simplicity).

Proper progression: make it work, make it work well, make it pretty. Microsoft progression: make it pretty, make it work, add extras, repeat.

"Linux is all about open source. It's about making the best possible OS, and being as user-friendly as possible, but it's about doing so within the overriding goal of everybody being able to work together on the thing. " -- Linus Torvalds, http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0408.3/1475.ht...

The only "market segment" Torvalds was after was his own computer. The only "market segment" Stallman was after was a free community of hackers and users. You can't make hackers happy; they always see some improvement to be made and try to make it. (One university CS department head said that hackers are the only people in the world who could spend hours looking through pure gibberish for a misplaced semicolon and then rejoice when they find it). This combination of goals, freedom, individualism and drive for perfection naturally caused GNU/Linux to become robust and diverse. As it became easier for the hackers to use, it also became easy enough for the next level of experts. It's a geometric progression toward appliance users.

Those appliance users are the ones for whom Microsoft has failed miserably. This is because Microsoft has never placed a high priority on making their software sturdy enough to withstand both the vandals on the outside and the random clicking appliance user on the inside. (You may have some friends or relatives who routinely, regularly demolish any MS system they use. This is not usually caused by their stupidity; it's caused by Microsoft's incompetence and misleading marketing).

There is a convergence of robustness and simplicity by "web apps" and GNU/Linux that is taking place now. This is what Microsoft has always marketed but never delivered. Instead of making their software tough enough, they've dumbed it down and restricted what can be done with it to try to keep those who won't read manuals from doing things that kill the system. By going at it backwards, in an unscientific manner, Microsoft has caused their systems to become more and more complex due to the layers of add-ons needed to just keep it from being overrun by vandals.

GNU/Linux built the toughness, first. It doesn't have to go back and try to add that in. It only needs to continue expanding as people choose where they want to take it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!