Ajax Overhyped

Story: Ajax and the Ken Burns EffectTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
Tracer

Apr 23, 2006
8:08 PM EDT
Yeah, like I want to make my web app rely heavily on large page sizes (to support all the client-side code), which of course slow the page down, and then know that 50% or more of the people who interact with my site might have a broken set of features. No thanks. I'll stick with my minimal ECMAScript and my server roundtrips. It would be better to cut the hype and do the right thing -- submit a standard to the W3C for more powerful widgets in a future XHTML, and, while you're at it, consider improving CSS so that we can use more of CSS than we use ECMAScript. Javascript and ECMAScript are essential to my development, unfortunately. I would prefer to use less of it because I believe in a future world of thinner page downloads, almost no client-side code, and more powerful widgets in XHTML so that I don't have to have as many server roundtrips.

cjcox

Apr 24, 2006
1:13 PM EDT
Hmmm.. IMHO, if you're already dependent on ECMAScript or Javascript for a functional website you might as well be all for Ajax and Web 2.0. Just my opinion.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!