KDE is "FSF pure"

Story: Kde joins the Free Software FoundationTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
r_a_trip

May 10, 2006
6:48 AM EDT
Wait, is that the sound of the Earth spinning to a stop? Just kidding. Now if Microsoft joined the FSF... - dcparris

Why should the earth stop rotating? Through a weird twist of fate, KDE is now licensed under the FSF preferred GPL and Gnome (although I like and use it) is mostly licensed under the less preferred LGPL.

The irony is indeed amusing. The once loathed KDE is now a Free Software project in every sense of the FSF meaning.
grouch

May 10, 2006
7:35 AM EDT
r_a_trip:

Trolltech deserves some kudos, too, IMO. They answered the criticisms of long ago by dual licensing Qt.
dcparris

May 10, 2006
9:03 AM EDT
> Why should the earth stop rotating? Through a weird twist of fate, KDE is now licensed under the FSF preferred GPL and Gnome (although I like and use it) is mostly licensed under the less preferred LGPL.

Yes, I was recalling the old wars and hostilities. ;-) Just last year there were a few articles on OpenForBusiness about the advantages and disadvantages of KDE, GNOME, and the Mac interfaces, and some mention of the hard feelings toward the Trolltech folks, and how they were trying to move beyond that. I think they have - I had been using both KDE & GNOME without a clue about the flamewars until after the first edition of my book in 2004. I don't see any problems, I was just being smart-alecky.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!