The hidden costs of Internet Explorer

Story: Ie 7 won’t stop Firefox growth say usersTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
henke54

May 15, 2006
9:53 PM EDT
quote : "Author Khoi Vinh of Subtraction recounts the enormous amounts of money that IE has cost companies which have made attempts at creating browser-independent software.

Just how many hours of productivity have been lost to making Web page code work inside of Internet Explorer? Personally, I know that I’ve spent the equivalent of hundreds of man hours coaxing standards-compliant code to render properly in the I.E. world view, and the companies I’ve worked for have probably logged tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of man hours doing the same. When you add up all the effort similarly expended by designers, studios and corporations of all kinds all over the world and over the past five or ten years, it’s got to be an enormously expensive number; if you were to assign hourly rates to all that time, it might total in the billions of dollars." http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/5/15/3978
grouch

May 15, 2006
10:27 PM EDT
henke:

Nice find. How come you didn't click that "Submit story" link over on the right?
henke54

May 16, 2006
7:13 AM EDT
>henke:

Nice find. How come you didn't click that "Submit story" link over on the right?

sorry...didn't thought of that...
tuxtom

May 16, 2006
8:41 PM EDT
I have been running to quite a few sites that are becoming IE-only again with the proliferation of .NET . There be lotsa nasty little .aspx pages about. I find this disturbing...and to think I was studying up on the dark side (C#) just to make a buck. At the end of the day I guess it doesn't matter what you write to make money, but money won't buy you happiness. php will. ;-)

Back to the original post: forget the money spent on compliant code, how about the MASSIVE security breaches and viral downtime it has cost businesses from Mom & Pop to Manhattan to Munich to Moscow. Downtime is way more costly than a poorly rendered website.
grouch

May 16, 2006
8:55 PM EDT
ASP - A Snake, POISONOUS

I try to avoid such harmful things.

All it takes for me to close a tab and never visit a site again is to see that little "members only" sign: "Best viewed in Inter..." >click<.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!