What happend to LXer?

Story: The Dangers of Dictating ProcurementTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
kozmcrae

May 19, 2006
5:59 PM EDT
The author of this article is squarely in the pocked to the Telcos. And he doesn't have very nice things to say about Peter Quinn either, "Last November, Peter J. Quinn, Massachusetts’ Chief Information Officer, ordered the use of Open Document Format (ODF), the format for documents, spreadsheets, and presentations used by OpenOffice.org, an open source competitor of Microsoft Office." That's BS.

What the hell is this article doing on LXer. Will someone in charge of what gets posted in Newswire please come clean. Has LXer changed from being pro-Open Source to anti-Open Source?
jdixon

May 19, 2006
6:18 PM EDT
LXer is a NEWS site. It carries news related to Linux.

Is or is not the article news relating to Linux?

The Linux community is not a monolithic whole. Some LInux users may agree with the article. But in the end, even whether or not any given article matches the views of most LXer readers doesn't matter. If it's news concerning Linux, LXer should carry it. In fact, it can be argued that it's even more important that LXer carry news articles which don't match our viewpoints. That way we're aware of the opposition and can work to overcome it.

If you don't like a particular article, then simply say so. Don't blame LXer for carrying it. They're doing what they're supposed to do, informing their readers.
jimf

May 19, 2006
6:22 PM EDT
A number of articles have been posted lately which are purportedly FOSS friendly but are actually questionable. I believe that it's not only appropriate, but critical that we be given a chance to debunk articles like this that are biased or just plain lies...

These articles are out there with the intent of fooling people. Not bringing them under scrutiny is far worse than posting them on LXer where 'we know' they'll get analyzed, and, torn down... As you did just now :).
dcparris

May 19, 2006
6:32 PM EDT
> What the hell is this article doing on LXer. Will someone in charge of what gets posted in Newswire please come clean. Has LXer changed from being pro-Open Source to anti-Open Source?

You apparently missed my comment, posted in the lead to the article (the description you see on the front page). I suggest you read that to see what I had to say about the article. The article is important for us to be aware of, and hope inspire some folks to action. My response to the article's author will follow in the morning. You might consider passing the word. People do need to know about this article and respond to it.

Don In charge of what gets posted ;-)
kozmcrae

May 19, 2006
6:33 PM EDT
>In fact, it can be argued that it's even more important that LXer carry news articles which don't match our viewpoints.

Wrong. There are plenty of anti-Open Source news sites that will do that job for you. They aren't going to start posting pro-Open Source stories. Something has changed at LXer. I've been reading Newswire all along. Has something been posted elsewhere on this site that explains the 180 on some of the views? Please direct me to it so I can formally remove LXer from my bookmarks.
kozmcrae

May 19, 2006
6:35 PM EDT
Thanks Don. You hit the enter key before me. I'll look forward to your response.
grouch

May 19, 2006
6:50 PM EDT
kozmcrae: >"What the hell is this article doing on LXer. Will someone in charge of what gets posted in Newswire please come clean. Has LXer changed from being pro-Open Source to anti-Open Source?"

jdixon and jimf didn't leave a lot to add.

Check the "About" link. LXer "is a fully independent news and opinion site". LXer is here to "present information about GNU/Linux and free/open source software".

Scroll through the Newswire, Forums, Features, Migrations, and HOWTOs. You will find the good, the bad and the ugly (and sometimes the hilarious). Those hold the information and opinions.

You apparently disagree with the content of the posted article and you found the means that LXer provides for posting a comment about it. I can't find any where to post such a disagreement on the site hosting the article. It looks to me like LXer is accomplishing its mission.

How about dissecting that article and pointing out everything in it that you think the author got wrong? He doesn't seem to want any feedback cluttering up his tale, but a lot of people will see what you have to say, here.
dcparris

May 19, 2006
6:52 PM EDT
It's my opinion that we do need to bring some things to the attention of our readers. Readers cannot act on what they do not know about. If there is an anti-FOSS article on LXer, it is most assuredly for your education. Knowledge is power. But it is only power if we act on the knowledge.

Remember all the press conferences by the Sadam's press officer, with our troops surrounding Bagdad? They tried to hide the facts from their people. I won't hide the facts from our people. We'll let Bill Hilf and Steve Ballmer do that for their people. Meanwhile, we'll know what's going on on both sides of the battle.
jdixon

May 20, 2006
6:41 AM EDT
> here are plenty of anti-Open Source news sites that will do that job for you.

Site which most of us here don't visit and wouldn't bother to read if they somehow showed up on our screens. At LXer we can get both sides of the story. If the article actually happens to have any good points, you can be fairly sure that someone will point them out.

But, if you actually have a problem with LXer, then I recommend you email the editors and/or owner in private mail and discuss it with them. Then, if you concerns are not addressed, you can leave knowing that you've tried. I wish you luck in finding a Linux news site more to your tastes. If you find one, please provide a link to it here so we can all check it out.
Scott_Ruecker

May 20, 2006
9:56 AM EDT
Didn't we just have this conversation guys?

He should be happy he actually gets to tell it like he see's it and get a real response.
dcparris

May 20, 2006
10:50 AM EDT
Well, he responded well once I responded. I question his rush to judgement, but now he seems to understand. Let's leave it at that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!