Bill's Shills

Story: Linux News Discredits Heartland Institute's OpenDocument ReportTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
grouch

May 20, 2006
12:45 PM EDT
With research like this, I think it is safe to consider the Heartland Institute in the same dark, discredited camp as the Alexis de Tocqueville Institution. Perhaps Steven Titch aspires to be as discredited and widely-ridiculed as Ken Brown, of the AdTI.
dinotrac

May 20, 2006
1:22 PM EDT
grouch:

Aren't you paying attention?

Heartland.

That's Heart and land.

Everybody needs a heart. Hearts are good things. And land -- it's good to have land. That makes two good things.

I'm less sure about institutes, but MIT is an Institute and so is Cal Poly, and they both have lots of really smart people doing very cool things, so Institute is probably pretty good, too.

So...What exactly is your problem, dumping all over a triple good thing like the Heartland Institute?

I'm stunned, but I pronounce it like the guy in the The Rutles.
grouch

May 20, 2006
7:16 PM EDT
dinotrac:

(Sorry about the delayed reply. Our esteemed Editor-in-Chief has a sadistic streak, no doubt left over from boot camp. Training == There it is; sink or swim).

So it's an institute to land your heart, if you take the hook, line and sinker. Think they will reel anyone in?

I note the date on the thing is June 1, which, naturally, is put there by marketing in the hopes that the magazine will be allowed to occupy a desk or coffee table for a couple of weeks before going to the bottom of the bird cage. (The birds can't add any substance not already contained by the article).

Is there an MS dictionary somewhere? They consistently use words that resemble English but have special meanings that are only discernible by examining the historical mangling by the same gang.
dinotrac

May 21, 2006
3:27 AM EDT
grouch:

There is a Microsoft dictionary, but I had to stop using it.

Left out too many words: reliability, security, efficiency, etc.
grouch

May 21, 2006
12:20 PM EDT
dinotrac:

They've added "reliability" and "security" recently. The definitions they use won't resemble what you were taught, though. There was a story in the Newswire very recently where one of the Microsoft execs said open source is not reliable. Think we should warn all those folks running Apache?
dcparris

May 21, 2006
2:38 PM EDT
Grouch: > There was a story in the Newswire very recently where one of the Microsoft execs said open source is not reliable.

Actually, they have a point. I used to be able to rely on WIn98/XP to crash frequently. SUSE and Ubuntu just can't be relied upon to crash hardly at all. Suppose, they can't get us to call them over some obscure driver issue or some mysterious system crash. That means they can't charge us $30-$60 to walk us through [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del] to magically fix everything. If they can't charge us for helping us reboot our computers, they won't make enough money to pay the tech support staff...

Anyway, I think the lesson here is that "reliability" lies in the eyes of the definer.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!