Free Software Foundation???

Story: OpenDocument in Massachusetts: War of the WordsTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
rstanley

May 23, 2006
7:08 AM EDT
"Microsoft depends on a lack of competition in order to survive. That's why the FOSS community poses such a major threat to Microsoft; they can't very well go and buy the Free Software Foundation."

What does the Free Software Foundation have to do with Massachusetts adoption of the Open Document Format? Even if they could, how would that theoretical purchase have an effect on the ODF? They would have had to purchase Sun and Star Office before the release of OpenOffice.org in order to have prevented the ODF.

I understand what you said, and you are right, but this article was about the ODF.
dcparris

May 23, 2006
7:27 AM EDT
Thanks for your input! I really was attempting to support my claim that the FOSS community poses a competitive threat to Microsoft by pointing out the futility of treating the community as they have so many other competitors. The FSF was merely an example. I think you have a point though. I could have made my point another way. So thanks, I'll try to do a better job of sticking to my topic.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!