thanks for the LWN access

Story: This week at LWN: How Sun's Java got into DebianTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
tuxchick2

May 26, 2006
1:13 PM EDT
This is great, I keep meaning to subscribe but there seems to be more money-suckers than money-inputters in my life these days.
dcparris

May 26, 2006
2:28 PM EDT
You can thank Grouch. I screwed up the "launch", but I'm glad you noticed it. :-)
grouch

May 27, 2006
6:39 AM EDT
tuxchick2:

I think you're witnessing a bit of history in this experiment. I know of no other website, Linux-centric or otherwise, which has ever worked out a way with LWN to let the general public sneak a peek at the subscriber-only content.

I might have to dig myself a foxhole and get a flak jacket, but can't pass up the opportunity to contradict dcparris here. You can thank Jonathan Corbet, Dave Whitinger, Don Parris and me (I accept credit card numbers or small, unmarked U.S. currency).

It's an experiment using a feature of LWN in a new way, in conjunction with the features of LXer, to grant access from a semi-hourly newspaper to a weekly magazine. LXer serves up a pretty fast-paced, eclectic, fast-food diet of news story links with original features as the dessert and topping. LWN builds and presents weekly in-depth reports and a selection of news links organized by category. They share a focus on GNU/Linux and the freedoms necessary for it to thrive, as well as open commentary for individuals to debate or augment the information reported.

Hopefully this can help introduce each audience of readers to the complementary services of the other site. There surely are some LXer readers who haven't been introduced to LWN's less hectic, but more in-depth coverage, as well as some LWN subscribers who are looking for that daily deluge of Linux news that LXer provides.

Thanks to the cooperation of the "brass" on both sites, there is now a little bridge of a link. Readers who take advantage of that link actually help each site serve readers better.
dcparris

May 27, 2006
7:51 AM EDT
> (I accept credit card numbers or small, unmarked U.S. currency)

Of course, I don't mind if Ben Franklin graces me with his presence, either.
dinotrac

May 27, 2006
8:39 AM EDT
Rev -

Tell ya what...

We can have everyone me all the money they have. I'll sort out the filthy lucre and send you the rest.
dcparris

May 27, 2006
8:16 PM EDT
> We can have everyone me all the money they have. I'll sort out the filthy lucre and send you the rest.

Something tells me you would do an excellent job of sorting out all the filthy lucre. Maybe a little too good.
grouch

May 27, 2006
8:46 PM EDT
Hmm. I think I smell a conspiracy to do me out of my small, unmarked bills. Isn't there some kind of law against obstructing graft?
dinotrac

May 28, 2006
7:27 AM EDT
Rev -

I make you my solemn promise:

Not only would I faithfully filter filthy lucre from the rest, but I would err on the side of caution.
jdixon

May 28, 2006
3:11 PM EDT
> Not only would I faithfully filter filthy lucre from the rest, but I would err on the side of caution.

Of course you would Dino. We trust you completely.

> Isn't there some kind of law against obstructing graft?

That depends, Grouch. Are you a politician?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!