It's Obvious grouch!

Story: Microsoft Disses OpenDocument As "Too Slow"Total Replies: 3
Author Content
stevem

May 27, 2006
7:43 PM EDT
(Long time lurker, first time poster)

What it means is that Microsoft is advocating that all windows users stop using MS word and such and instead switch to using notepad.

The obvious flip side is that those of us who are long time vi users have also been shown to hold to the one true path vs those blatently silly emacs users.

Like I said, Obvious.

;-)

- Steve
grouch

May 27, 2006
8:04 PM EDT
Aha! Just as I suspected, it's about comparing programs, not file formats.

More sleight-of-hand like they try to mix "open standards" with "open source".

Take a secret, closed suite of programs which are integrated with an operating system via unknown hooks and measure the speed with which it utilizes a document saved in a format that is designed specifically to match that closed, secretive program. Somehow we're supposed to believe that this speed measurement is evidence of the superiority of the file format?
salparadise

May 27, 2006
10:20 PM EDT
A file format is too slow???? ROFL

You mean MS will make it so that Office takes several minutes to save to this file format to discourage people from using it?

And this from a company who recommends a 256MB on-board graphics card so your Window edges can be transparent (a feature which WindowBlinds has made possible on Windows for several years and which Enlightenment and KDE can both do without raising so much as a sweat, on a system with a card of less than a quarter that capability/power) on an OS that will need 15Gig of drive space to contain drivers for all the legacy hardware that no one uses anymore, Notepad, OE and IE.

Give me a break.

As has been said before, probably by me, the traditional end to this movie is where the citizens of America arm themselves with pitch forks and torches, surround a certain block of buildings in Redmond and burn them to the ground. While the Doctor and Igor (Bill and Steve) run away and have to live in anonymity and poverty lest anyone recognise them.
jdixon

May 28, 2006
6:45 AM EDT
Sorry folks, I have to grant Microsoft the position of authority on this subject. If anyone knows anything about slow bloated code, it's Microsoft.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!