Comet Cursor and RealPlayer

Story: The 25 worst tech products of all timeTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

May 28, 2006
2:32 AM EDT
I will admit that I got suckered by Comet Cursor, and I paid the price too. I had to re-install the M$ and start from scratch. I had to re-install the M$ other times too, but that was for other stupid stuff I did. :-)

As for RealPlayer, I have only once or twice gotten it to do jack except error out when attempting to open absolutely ANYTHING on my computer. There are programs that make themselves the default program for that function, and then there's RealPlayer. Now I know that I don't know much but I have tried to play videos that are Real Format WITH RealPlayer and had it error out but as long as I have RealPlayer on my computer I can play those videos in Xine with no problem. I don't get it. That's the most I have ever been able to get RealPlayer to do, ever. In all the time I used M$ OS's I never got it to do anything, period.

And AOL? Their software hides in more places than I know of. One of the many hats I wear is as a tech support agent, every day I have to help someone who is moving from AOL or did, a while ago. I never fully got AOL off of my first computer.

Ahh, Thank You for letting me get these issues off of my chest. ;-)
jdixon

May 28, 2006
6:49 AM EDT
I notice they left PC World off their list. :)
tuxchick2

May 28, 2006
2:43 PM EDT
AOL is horrible. It replaces the Windows networking stack with its own. If you are skilled and lucky, you can surgically replace it with Windows networking, but usually it's easier to just reinstall the OS. Which is an indictment of both of them, it takes talent to be simultaneously evil and incompetent.
grouch

May 28, 2006
2:59 PM EDT
I would turn all my computers into flower pots to grow poison ivy before installing either AOL or MS garbage on them.
dinotrac

May 28, 2006
4:11 PM EDT
grouch:

>I would turn all my computers into flower pots to grow poison ivy before installing either AOL or MS garbage on them.

So, let me see if I understand you correctly: You're saying that you don't especially love AOL and MS?
grouch

May 28, 2006
4:28 PM EDT
dinotrac: Sometimes you scare me. You're not one of those psychics I read about, are you?
dinotrac

May 28, 2006
5:17 PM EDT
grouch:

You read?
Scott_Ruecker

May 28, 2006
10:28 PM EDT
First things first:

grouch is an all powerful being here to have some linear time framed into his mind, and dinotrac is just really lucky...

:-)

dcparris

May 29, 2006
6:28 AM EDT
O.k., I confess. I actually find those AOL CDs quite handy. You know how it is - you haven't had anything to throw away all day, and then you check the mail. Voila! Something for your garbage bin! I started using them as coasters, but it gave our visitors the wrong impression.
grouch

May 29, 2006
7:00 AM EDT
Scott_Ruecker:

Whachu talkin' 'bout?

(Psst. Was that a Swiss bank or a Caribbean bank?)

dcparris:

You can cut a radial slot in each of 2 of them, slip them together to form a kind of 3d X, and use that as a divider in a box made of 3.5" floppy disks. It turns out the diameter of a CD is very close to the diagonal measurement of such a box. Makes a good pencil holder.
Scott_Ruecker

May 29, 2006
8:30 AM EDT
grouch: Swiss.. I couldn't stop myself, it came off the top of my head. Which explains a lot by the way.

You have to admit that "here to have some linear time framed into his mind" is a cool play on words? Yes?

and dinotrac, well he is lucky..I think.

;-)
dinotrac

May 29, 2006
8:33 AM EDT
Scott --

>and dinotrac, well he is lucky..I think.

Lucky to be alive, lucky to be me, I have to agree!

Scott_Ruecker

May 29, 2006
8:36 AM EDT
Hey, You sound like me.

On a good day too.

LOL
dinotrac

May 29, 2006
10:23 AM EDT
Scotty:

>Hey, You sound like me.

You must be a great man.

Charming, good looking, and humble, too.

;0)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!