OS X = FeeBSD

Story: Closing OS X — a sad and needless move by AppleTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
pat

May 29, 2006
6:05 AM EDT
Sorry dude, OS X NEVER possesed the quality that makes Linux great. What is that quality? Why the GPL silly.
Libervis

May 29, 2006
10:47 AM EDT
Indeed.

Mac OS X actually never was a Free Operating System as a whole in the first place. So what's the fuss? Apple never ceased to control it and all the devs that wanted to tinker with the code should have known that.

This move is nothing to wonder about.
r_a_trip

May 29, 2006
3:00 PM EDT
Mac OS X actually never was a Free Operating System as a whole in the first place. So what's the fuss?

What's the fuss? Militant Mac fans can't wave the Open Source flag anymore, because the last large FOSS part of OS X (Darwin) is now closed off to the community.

Darwin is now forked by Apple and the two platforms will diverge. No more chanting that OS X gives you the best of both worlds. OS X is firmly proprietary.

It's fine by me though, I never believed in "hybrid source". Something is Open or not.
jimf

May 29, 2006
4:53 PM EDT
> Mac fans can't wave the Open Source flag anymore

Well, they never really could. Big difference between GPL'd and the notion that Mac allows them to do it. Mac has never been FOSS, and the only advantage that Mac users can tout 'has always been' that the QC and customer service is better than MS's.
dcparris

May 30, 2006
1:14 PM EDT
I'm sorry, What was that OS again? You say it isn't/wasn't Free? No wonder I'm not familiar with it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!