please ignore content-free tripe from Yankee group

Story: Linux down time may be due to missing documentation or changing ...Total Replies: 15
Author Content
tuxchick2

Jun 08, 2006
4:08 PM EDT
If there are any actual data in this article, I couldn't find it.
herzeleid

Jun 08, 2006
4:15 PM EDT
This article was idiotic - full of half-baked notions, ridiculous assertions and much confusion in evidence.

I work at a fortune 100 company which runs its data center infrastructure on linux, and the assertions in the didiot article and the related study simply fly in the face of the facts.

First of all, there has been no downtime on any production linux servers in the 7 years or so we've been using linux in that role, except for one dell server with hardware issues. period.

Secondly, if there were a problem, we would not go "scouring the internet" for support, we would pick up the phone and call HP or Novell. It's called support and yes, virginia, you can get support for linux, just as you can for HPUX, Solaris, AIX or any other data center OS.

Bleh, the article is so stupid I don't want to waste any more time thinking about it.

richo123

Jun 08, 2006
5:41 PM EDT
Laura, Your check is in the mail. Bill
jimf

Jun 08, 2006
8:30 PM EDT
A very telling bio on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_DiDio
tuxchick2

Jun 08, 2006
8:51 PM EDT
BTW, I apologize to lovers of tripe. I should not have insulted a perfectly good food.

the Wikipedia entry is funny. :)
dinotrac

Jun 09, 2006
3:37 AM EDT
Amityville, eh?

Maybe that's why she looks at Windows and sees an OS.
richo123

Jun 09, 2006
5:10 AM EDT
Amityville, paranormal investigations WTF? Jeff Gannon eat your heart out!

Disclaimer: I am a "linux extremist" so just ignore my "attacks"
dek

Jun 09, 2006
6:08 AM EDT
Didio: "...I'm like 'Pass the hookah please!'"

It appears to me that she has already passed something or other. First she conducts paranormal investigations and now she expects to be taken seriously in Tech?? I'd say she's lacking a serious dose of reality checks. Her analysis reflects that lack.

BTW: I want some of what she's smoking!! :-)

Don K.
devnet

Jun 09, 2006
7:09 AM EDT
dek,

When you're finished could you pass the hookah over here please?

lol
tuxchick2

Jun 09, 2006
10:45 AM EDT
What a tough crowd. Surely you recognize the paranormal nature of SCO's lawsuits? Which makes Ms. DiDio the perfect expert analyst for them. Which has little to do with this thread, but i want to join in the fun too.
jimf

Jun 09, 2006
11:05 AM EDT
As has been pointed out many times, we need to dispute the article content, and not the Author. However in this case, there appears to be no content, so, Ms. DiDio seems the perfect subject for a witch hunt. Sometimes the witch really does exist.
grouch

Jun 09, 2006
11:39 AM EDT
jimf:

Don't be maligning witches, please. I think you mean Ms. DiDio is the perfect subject for a shill hunt.
jimf

Jun 09, 2006
11:50 AM EDT
Once again I have offended 'someone' ;-)
SFN

Jun 09, 2006
12:05 PM EDT
Um.....

*raises hand*

I used to do paranormal investigations.
dcparris

Jun 09, 2006
2:11 PM EDT
O.k., so she's a paranormal technology analyst. She investigates and analyzes paranormal technologies, such as MS Windows. Or has everyone forgotten grouch's recent article, Newbies and Magic (http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/61010/index.html), about the "magic" boxes that suddenly reboot for no apparent reason? Isn't that a paranormal technology phenomenon?
grouch

Jun 09, 2006
4:16 PM EDT
Either paranormal technology analyst or simply a billg pump, er, I mean bilge pump, no, right the first time: billg pump.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!