FLOSS YOUR TEETH

Story: Linux vs. Windows: Fight to the DeathTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
grouch

Jun 09, 2006
11:17 AM EDT
>"Incidentally, FLOSS is stupid. It's FOSS, Free and Open Source Software. This is computing, not dentistry."

It ain't stupid; your funny bone has just been battered by too many didiots, lately.

As I told dinotrac in response to his challenge: http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/22592/

Free Libre Open Source Software

Yields Open Unrivaled Reviewable

Technological Excellence Evolving Through Humaneness.
tuxchick2

Jun 09, 2006
4:15 PM EDT
That would make a dandy Burma Shave-type campaign! Little signs all lined up along the highway.
jimf

Jun 09, 2006
5:17 PM EDT
Yeah, I miss those.

My god, we're really showing our age tuxchick :)
hkwint

Jun 10, 2006
3:35 AM EDT
Libre is not ambigious, Free is. Therefore, I say, we should get lost of the stupid word Free, because I get pissed of of the Beer and Freedom, and just call it LOSS.

Great marketing, huh? Forget about Microsoft and switch to LOSS! (Darn English language!)
dcparris

Jun 10, 2006
10:01 AM EDT
I just call it all libre most of the time. RMS' philosophical stance aside, he explained to me that the X-11 styled licenses are still free (libre) software. I just use libre because I find it easier to explain the definition of the term than to wrestle with someone's pre-conceived notions about "free".
dinotrac

Jun 10, 2006
10:08 AM EDT
>Libre is not ambigious

It's the one in between Virgo and Scorpio, right?
hkwint

Jun 10, 2006
2:11 PM EDT
No, that seems to be "Libra". It's the one with 'Logiciel' in front of it. Which makes clear again why English language is confusing and made by alcoholics: In French you can say FOSS in only two words without having to talk about beer and RMS, the latter also being ambigious for a measure of power.
dinotrac

Jun 10, 2006
2:49 PM EDT
>No, that seems to be "Libra"

That depends entirely on how well you spell. We here in the good ol' US of A ain't perzactly the best spellers.

Besides -- Iff'n you say it, it sounds the same!
helios

Jun 11, 2006
5:20 PM EDT
In a nutshell...

first wife is German...taught her English myself. (I am now bald and way older than my 50 something years for the effort.)

Explained the simple rules of vowels in 4 letter words: If there is a silent e at the end of the word, then that dictates the middle vowel is long in sound; Bone, home, etc.

Sat down to dinner that night...wife said to me, "Why is "gone not following the rule you taught me today...and why is i before e except after c and in foreign? And why is..."

It didn't lead to my divorce directly, but having a wife that thinks you lied to her trying to teach her english isn't exactly the road to a healthy marriage. In a way...I'm glad she's gon(e). and no...I didn't learn my lesson...you would think I would marry someone fluent in the english language...nope...I married a Texas girl. We speak some of the most uh...let's see...uh, "creative" dialects of the language ever heard.
jimf

Jun 11, 2006
5:28 PM EDT
> "creative" dialects of the language

Ah... but that is the joy of English. A lifetime of fun and games.
jdixon

Jun 11, 2006
7:35 PM EDT
Helios:

The first rule of English is that there are no rules. Any specific rule you may come up with only applies to a subset of the language, not the whole. The are just too many influences from too many other languages at various times in it's development. A process that is continuing to this day, as anyone who has kids who watch anime can tell you.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!