the future is coding and documentation

Story: Looking for a few good womenTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
tuxchick2

Jun 14, 2006
8:50 AM EDT
Yeah, doc writers are still scorned, and devs think their poo don't stink, but the truth is we need lots more skilled coders, and perhaps more important, skilled UI designers. UI design is not just for GUI apps, but CLI as well- I'm sure we've all experienced those "hey!" moments when we realized that a CLI app required too many steps to do a common task. (Spare me the "just make an alias or write a script" advice- that's not a fix, that's a workaround.)

And we need a much more diverse coding community- that alone will cure many ills, especially the devs-know-best disease.

The future belongs to the geeks- don't waste your life as a button-pusher. The real power lies with the button designers.
dcparris

Jun 14, 2006
12:13 PM EDT
I wouldn't mind doing some technical writing. Must get paid though. I give away too much of my time as it is.
number6x

Jun 14, 2006
1:03 PM EDT
No, No No.

We devs know that our poo stinks.

It stinks to high heaven. But you flush and lite a candle and the evidence is gone.

Now if someone starts to document how stinky our output is, the stench never goes away! :)

However its not the design of the button, but of the flow of getting something done.

Pay art students to design buttons between gigs as waitstaff at the local diner. They are cheap and can make cool looking things for the cost of a few starbucks lattes a day.

The real trick is in designing a gui that almost anticipates your needs. Something that gets out of your way, and lets you get things done smoothly.

Maybe we should hire kayakers and ice skaters?
tuxchick2

Jun 14, 2006
1:23 PM EDT
You're not a real dev- you flush!

:)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!