what's wrong with paying for content?

Story: The Web Might Be Taking A Shape We Don't Much Like.Total Replies: 5
Author Content
tuxchick2

Jun 20, 2006
9:43 AM EDT
Helios, I am confused. So your windoze/dell user pays to view a video. What's wrong with that? Even if it's a bad deal, people make bad deals all the time, like using check cashing services or paying five times the normal purchase price for living room set at Rent-a-Center.

The Internet is a great medium for commercial transactions. Maybe I'm missing the point, but I don't see a problem here.
peragrin

Jun 20, 2006
10:28 AM EDT
I wouldn't mind if I could get say a PDF copy of my local newspaper optimized for reading on a screen(hopefully an e-ink display).

The online versions just don't look right. They are to hard to read easily, not to mention being tied to a computer, or other battery draining device.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 20, 2006
10:56 AM EDT
TC2, agreed. Having a site offering content for a fee opens a market for lower- or no-fee sites.

Neither is this "the Internet", it's a site. And no matter how many sites do charge for content, there is always room for sites that do not.

grouch

Jun 20, 2006
11:21 AM EDT
I share tuxchick2's confusion about this. It looks like either something very significant was left out of the article or the charge of 99 cents for a video is supposed to be considered catastrophic for the Web.
dinotrac

Jun 20, 2006
1:21 PM EDT
lions and tigers and 99 cents, oh my!
dcparris

Jun 20, 2006
5:10 PM EDT
> I wouldn't mind if I could get say a PDF copy of my local newspaper optimized for reading on a screen(hopefully an e-ink display).

You mean, kind of like LXer? Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!