I agree with this statement

Story: China's Linux Adoption Threat to Microsoft?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
jsusanka

Jun 22, 2006
3:58 PM EDT
"I believe that the US and the Western world had better begin to embrace open source as an alternative to what we are collectively use now. Love it or hate it, open source options such as Linux are quite literarily catapulting the Chinese tech industry through the 21st century. Unless we get a grip on this little tidbit of reality, we could find ourselves in a world of hurt."

this is so true - the world will pass us by because we americans just follow along with what is marketed the best whether it sucks or not.

what is really frightening about it is that our schools are being run like good llittle corporations and giving the students computers but they can only run windows because it is "the standard".

why the hell are schools buying microsoft office no matter how much it is discounted. open office will suit them just fine and will write all their reports till the cows come home. you can never beat $0.00 this is just STUPID and a waste of money.

the last crap I bought with microsoft's name on it was windows 3.11 someone gave me a pirated version of 95 to try and I tried it and threw it out - os2 was way better at the time and even ran my 3.11 apps better than 95. now I have been using linux for almost ten years and todays distributions blow anything away that windows can or can't produce. nds blow ads away any day - I just don't need windows for my computing needs.
dcparris

Jun 22, 2006
6:28 PM EDT
I agree wholeheartedly.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 22, 2006
7:48 PM EDT
what is really frightening about it is that our schools are being run like good llittle corporations and giving the students computers but they can only run windows because it is "the standard".

And there are people who still draw a breath in surprise when I talk about burning all government-run "public" schools to the ground, razing them so that no stone remains standing upon another, and sowing salt into the ruins.

why the hell are schools buying microsoft office no matter how much it is discounted.

Because the entire structure of the public schools is one of control. F/OSS is too free-form, too liberating. It's the same reason they teach New Math and Look-Say. "Education" is the largest single employer, the NEA is the biggest labor union. It is all about control.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!