Great test of OpenXML...

Story: Microsoft to support ODF (!!!)Total Replies: 5
Author Content
dinotrac

Jul 06, 2006
9:25 AM EDT
From Microsoft's standpoint, this could be a great opportunity to demonstrate how open OpenXML really is.

An XML schema true to the spirit of XML should be pretty simple to transform into any other XML schema equally true to the spirit, presuming the basic data elements exist.

If, however, an XML schema is just window-dressing around binary blobs, then not so easy.

Hmmmmmm.............
tuxchick2

Jul 06, 2006
9:37 AM EDT
yasofunny. Nothing at microshaft will change until all the top management have passed on to that Great Monopoly In The Sky.
dinotrac

Jul 06, 2006
9:51 AM EDT
tc -

Of course.

But...

MS keeps calling OpenXML and open standard. If it's really open, translating between it and ODF should be easy.

If it ain't easy (with the proviso that the data's gotta be there), it ain't open.

dcparris

Jul 06, 2006
3:03 PM EDT
It is kind of funny that they can manage to translate their Doc format to their own XML format, but not to ODF. If it isn't incompetence, it must be shrewd.
jimf

Jul 06, 2006
3:16 PM EDT
> If it isn't incompetence, it must be shrewd

Maybe a little of both.
dek

Jul 06, 2006
5:12 PM EDT
tc: Nothing at microshaft will change until all the top management have passed on to that Great Monopoly In The Sky.

I'm feeling kind of whimsical here so I'll pick on Tuxchick2 . . ;-)

Great Monopoly in the sky????? All the evidence I've seen suggests that Monopolists go the other direction!!

(Sorry, I said I was feeling whimsical so bear with me!)

Don K.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!