WARNING: Splunk is not freely licensed software. EOM

Story: Nagios Ready for SplunkingTotal Replies: 30
Author Content
wind0wsr3fund

Jul 11, 2006
11:46 AM EDT
WARNING: Splunk is not freely licensed software.
SFN

Jul 11, 2006
12:06 PM EDT
Oh, gee. A trend.
Libervis

Jul 11, 2006
2:48 PM EDT
Hehe. Well someone's ought to make it known loud and clear. :)
sbergman27

Jul 11, 2006
3:26 PM EDT
You realize that the best way to get something noticed is to slap a big WARNING: message on it, right? I'm sure this article has gotten more hits than it would have otherwise. It's exactly the kind of article that would normally just float by with few people noticing.
wind0wsr3fund

Jul 11, 2006
4:29 PM EDT
so you're saying we should hide the fact that the software is non-free?
jimf

Jul 11, 2006
4:54 PM EDT
I don't see that they are hiding the license. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/
dinotrac

Jul 11, 2006
5:06 PM EDT
Jimf --

Sure they are. Go to their website and you'll see that it's hidden by one of those hyper-link thingies that the geeks are always talking about.

Nobody with a life knows how to use those, right?
jimf

Jul 11, 2006
5:20 PM EDT
type 'license' in site search, and it comes right up.
dinotrac

Jul 11, 2006
5:24 PM EDT
Site search?

Don't you have to type stuff and click things to use that?
jimf

Jul 11, 2006
5:32 PM EDT
It's also in a link at the very bottom of the page.

Really dino, I don't expect that everyone is going to post the license on the front page. I do expect that it can be easily found, preferably by a somewhat prominent link that says something like 'license'... These guys may only have just passed that test, but, they don't appear to be actively hiding anything.
dinotrac

Jul 11, 2006
5:34 PM EDT
Ah c'mon jimf, I'm just funnin' ya!!
jimf

Jul 11, 2006
5:42 PM EDT
Sorry, dealing with wind0wsr3fund has entirely skewed my sense of humor for the day :).
dinotrac

Jul 11, 2006
5:48 PM EDT
jimf --

Is it skewed enough for this:

A guy threw a party for a friend of his who just happened to be the goaltender for a World Cup Soccer (football for you Brits, futball for everyone else) team.

He was glad to do it, having grown up with the lad. In fact their sons played on the same junior team, and their fathers had played together a generation before. Friends, family, neighbors, were all invited.

The local newspaper heard about it and sent a photographer to get pictures.

Intrigued by the inter-generational possiblities, he started pointing and calling out directions. Finally, he called the guest of honor.

"Hey -- why don't you stand over there by the father, son, and goalie host."

Makes w3 sound good, doesn't it?
jimf

Jul 11, 2006
5:56 PM EDT
Oooh.... ;-)
dinotrac

Jul 11, 2006
6:28 PM EDT
That'll teach you to complain.
dcparris

Jul 11, 2006
6:33 PM EDT
Remind me to talk with Dave about updating our ToS. I'm almost certain that joke is illegal in 35 states and 56 foreign countries. :-)
wind0wsr3fund

Jul 11, 2006
6:38 PM EDT
Let me repeat for those of you that did not get it the first time: "Splunk is not freely licensed software". Your attempts to distract from the original point I made have failed.
jimf

Jul 11, 2006
7:29 PM EDT
I guess some have a problem with multitasking... and no sense of humor... oh well.
grouch

Jul 11, 2006
7:41 PM EDT
Here's a red flag: "Free download".

Those who use a free software license are generally proud to show it. After following jimf's directions, I found:

http://www.splunk.com/index.php/articles/news/66

Not even worth reading all the way through:

"You shall not (i) decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer the Free Software without the express written authorization of Splunk; (ii)modify, adapt, or create derivative works of the Free Software, except to create Your Extensions in accordance with this Agreement; (iii) rent, lease, loan, or resell the Free Software, the Splunk Developer API, Example Modules, or Your Extensions (including but not limited to offering the functionality of the Free Software on an applications service provider or time sharing basis);or (iv) authorize any third parties to do any of the above."

Sure doesn't match my idea of "Free Software".

The press release says: "Splunk is a disruptive new approach to troubleshooting IT systems."

Gee. Isn't "disruptive" the term used for such free software as GNU/Linux? Looks like some get-rich-click coattail riders, to me.
jimf

Jul 11, 2006
7:53 PM EDT
Gee. Isn't "disruptive" the term used for such free software as GNU/Linux? Looks like some get-rich-click coattail riders, to me.

Sure... It's definitely not free. Never said it was.
dinotrac

Jul 11, 2006
8:22 PM EDT
jimf -

I missed where you said it was free. Last I looked, you provided one of those hyperlink thingies I thought the kind of tech-savvy reader lxer gets understood.

The license linked to was definitely not a free license. Is there a better way to say it ain't free than to show precisely what it says?
jimf

Jul 11, 2006
9:26 PM EDT
> I missed where you said it was free. Last I looked, you provided one of those hyperlink thingies I thought the kind of tech-savvy reader lxer gets understood.

I repeat, I never said it was free! I only said their was a license.
grouch

Jul 11, 2006
9:59 PM EDT
jimf: >"Sure... It's definitely not free. Never said it was."

I didn't say you did. I said I followed your directions to find the license. Thanks for that, by the way.

Now dinotrac, on the other hand, is guilty of creating intense emotional pain and suffering along with possibly irreparable mental anguish for some unknown number of persons. As soon as someone can figure out the webalizer stats, a class action lawsuit may be filed by some number of individuals between 15,000 and 500,000.
dinotrac

Jul 12, 2006
2:45 AM EDT
grouch -

> may be filed by some number of individuals between 15,000 and 500,000.

Hah!!

Shows what you know. According to the Rev, things are picking up. It may be between 20,000 and 600,000 by the time you get around to it!!

So there.
grouch

Jul 12, 2006
3:30 AM EDT
dinotrac:

Still doing emergency groan relief right now. It could hit 50k to a million before enough senses are regained to start signing papers.

"goalie host" -- Have you *no* shame?
dinotrac

Jul 12, 2006
3:35 AM EDT
grouch:

Here's the worst part: I made that one up myself.

I have no shame whatsoever.
jdixon

Jul 12, 2006
6:24 AM EDT
> Remind me to talk with Dave about updating our ToS. I'm almost certain that joke is illegal in 35 states and 56 foreign countries. :-)

Yes, but since it's aimed at Christians, he doesn't have to worry about someone ordering him killed over it. If it was the same type of joke about "the Prophet", he might have some real concerns. That actually is illegal in most of the Muslim world.
SFN

Jul 12, 2006
6:31 AM EDT
Quoting:Discussion and debate of a political or religious nature is not allowed on the site.

Sorry, jdixon. You are outta here.
jdixon

Jul 12, 2006
6:59 AM EDT
> Sorry, jdixon. You are outta here.

Eh? I wasn't discussing religion. I was discussing law. I was stating my understanding of the law as it applies to humor (or the lack thereof, in some cases) in relation to religion. This really is a problem. Blasphemy of the Prophet really is illegal in most Muslim countries, and what you or I might consider a harmless joke they make take very seriously. Remember that Salman Rushdie was in hiding for several years after he wrote "The Satanic Verses" due to death threats.

Humor concerning most of the other religions may cause demonstrations or boycotts, but humor concerning Islam can get you killed.
SFN

Jul 12, 2006
7:18 AM EDT
Quoting:Remember that Salman Rushdie was...

Ooh! Ooh! Just had this pop into my head:

"Stallman Rushdie"

Just think of the humorous possibilities there.

I admit I can't think of any but I'm sure they exist.
jdixon

Jul 12, 2006
7:44 AM EDT
> Just think of the humorous possibilities there.

I'm sure Dino's already working on it. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!