buzzword bingo bandwagon?

Story: Report: A New Router, a New Direction for a Router MakerTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
tuxchick2

Jul 14, 2006
7:36 AM EDT
I hate to sound like our resident troll, but nowhere on their site does it give the licensing terms for the software. I think we're going to see an awful lot of commercial products exploiting FOSS and trying to skate around the GPL.

company web site: http://www.imagestreamsolutions.com/servlet/net.ebiz.velocit...

grouch

Jul 14, 2006
7:49 AM EDT
tuxchick2:

The ImageStream Linux distribution page is: http://www.imagestream.com/ImageStream_Linux.html

I can't find anything about the GPL there, nor anything about downloading source. So, I checked:

http://support.imagestream.com/

Nothing there, either. It tells you, if you don't know where to start, to go to:

http://support.imagestream.com/Technical_Notes.html

My eyes are beginning to cross, but I couldn't find any licensing information or source there, either.
sbergman27

Jul 14, 2006
8:21 AM EDT
I've sent a polite request to their tech support asking for a pointer to the download repository for the source of the GPL'd software they are using on their Linux based routers. I'll report back when they reply.

They sound like the hardware they use is more mainstream than with most appliances. So I suppose it is possible that they have not made moifications to GPL software that would need to be made available. Seems unlikely, especially for the kernel 2.4 based stuff, but it's possible.
tuxchick2

Jul 14, 2006
9:02 AM EDT
Somewheres on the site I read that they have ported a lot of drivers to their ImageStream Linux. Dunno what that means in terms of meeting license requirements or modifying GPL code, and I wish the article's author had dug into that, instead of writing a happy puff piece.
jimf

Jul 14, 2006
9:11 AM EDT
> I've sent a polite request to their tech support asking for a pointer to the download repository for the source of the GPL'd software they are using on their Linux based routers. I'll report back when they reply.

We'll be interested in hearing that. It's very important that those who tout their GPLness have a link to the license and the source prominently displayed. Too many frauds around, and, many of us are starting to look carefully.
grouch

Jul 14, 2006
9:33 AM EDT
Is this a case of the software being embedded and thus a part of the hardware? If it's changeable by the user, and I saw something about downloading updates, that means it is a release that requires the source be made available to anyone they distribute the binary to.
sbergman27

Jul 14, 2006
1:15 PM EDT
Well, here is the response. Comments welcome. If the binary has not been distributed to me (and it hasn't), I do not have an actual right to the source.

But this *is* starting to sound a little less "happy" than indicated in the "puff piece" and the smiling, happy, penguin on their website. ( http://www.routerrevolution.com/ )

=============================== We'll need to get your router's serial number and your company name.

Thanks, Scott Yoder Support Engineer ImageStream Internet Solutions, Inc. E-mail: syoder@imagestream.com

Steve Bergman wrote: > Hi, > > I just need a pointer to the repository for the source code of the GPL'd software on your Linux based routers. > > Thanks! > Steve Bergman

==============================

Edit: On second thought, this may very well be the usual hardware support hassle. "How do I turn my router on?" might have gotten the same response.
jimf

Jul 14, 2006
1:22 PM EDT
> But this *is* starting to sound a little less "happy" than indicated in the "puff piece" and the smiling, happy, penguin on their website.

Certainly a bit less than 'open'.
dinotrac

Jul 14, 2006
4:20 PM EDT
S & J:

> Certainly a bit less than 'open'.

Eye of the beholder, man.

The GPL doesn't require them to make source code available to anyone who hasn't received the binary.
jimf

Jul 14, 2006
5:18 PM EDT
> Eye of the beholder, man.

More like 'letter of the law' in this case.
dinotrac

Jul 14, 2006
5:33 PM EDT
Maybe so, but it takes time, effort and money to make the source code available. Not only that, they are allowed to do so in a way that recovers their costs.

IOW -- they NEVER have to put it up on an ftp site for you to download. They NEVER have to make it available free of charge. AND -- so long as they make the source available under the terms of the license, they can obey BOTH the letter and spirit of the GPL.

Lest you forget - RMS himself used to sell software tapes.

NOTHING about free software requires you to lose money.
sbergman27

Jul 14, 2006
5:36 PM EDT
> More like 'letter of the law' in this case.

Well, the more I think about it the more I think it might be a matter of:

"We're sorry to keep you waiting! Your call is important to us! All our customer representitives are busy assisting other customers. Your hold time is estimated to be (switch to another voice) 9... thousand!... 4... hundred! seventy...two... minutes... To expedite your call, please have the model and serial numbers of your product ready..."

I'll probably hear from support again on Monday and be directed to Sales.

Anyway, I did send a response back:

========== Thanks. I don't currently have any ImageStream routers in the field as I only recently discovered your products. But I am always on the lookout for networking products that offer extra flexibility. Linksys has one in the low end, but I'm interested in something midrange that my customers with "more than just basic" needs might use.

-Steve Bergman ==========
dinotrac

Jul 14, 2006
6:17 PM EDT
Stevie -

Now that's an analysis that might be on the numbers...
grouch

Jul 14, 2006
7:48 PM EDT
As long as they're complying, I will put away the pitchforks, torches and noose.

Thanks, sbergman27, for sharing the exchange.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!