When the Warthawg speacks, I listen...

Story: McAfee's new security journal: Sage is not sageTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
dinotrac

Jul 17, 2006
9:23 AM EDT
Papa Joe is on to something here, and it's no surprise...

Of course these guys don't like Open Source -- they ain't makin' no money there.

More to the point, there position is precisely the opposite of what genuine security experts will tell you.

Passwords - absolutely, keep them secret. Encryption keys? Ditto.

Algorithms -- no way, Jose. Many eyes make security vulnerabilities shallow, baby.

McAfee's position makes sense only when you presume that Open Source folks don't care about security and won't fix holes. The sheer volume of security updates developed against Open Source projects says otherwise.
tuxchick2

Jul 17, 2006
9:27 AM EDT
You don't even need to be a smart PhD geek to understand that windoze is endlessly and easily compromised without access to its source code. It's rather ingenious to blame FOSS for winduhs defects. Completely idiotic, but in a perverse way, clever.
jimf

Jul 17, 2006
9:48 AM EDT
Humm... Me thinks that MS is the pimp and McAffee's just one of its whores.
dcparris

Jul 17, 2006
12:02 PM EDT
The CIO Mag report portrays this somewhat differently than some of the other reports I've seen. That said... The Heathen belong in one of those places where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!