Only true for the top end of Windows users

Story: HP: Linux Pain Points Need to Be AddressedTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
r_a_trip

Jul 18, 2006
7:39 AM EDT
HP points to a Forrester Research study in 2005 that showed lack of support, immaturity of products and the lack of applications at the top of the list of problems.

For seventy percent of windows home users this is a non-issue. GNU/Linux already has reached feature parity for this group.

The lack of applications theme is vocally being pushed by professionals and powerusers. AutoCAD, Photoshop CS, and the like are completely superfluous for Joe and Jane Sixpack.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 18, 2006
10:59 AM EDT
I've talked to lots of newbies.

Gaim, Open Office, kmail/thunderbird/wtf email, Firefox/konqueror/wtf web browser, that's it.

...if you don't include games and a very short list of exceedinly specialized applications such as what one doctor next door uses to connect to his office, what the Mary Kay "consultant" down the street gets from her supplier to run in order to order product, etc.

Indeed the "applications don't exist / not robust / not mature" argument is just plain false.
tuxchick2

Jul 18, 2006
11:11 AM EDT
"Indeed the "applications don't exist / not robust / not mature" argument is just plain false."

Not only that, but most of them are both Free and free. Poor ole windoze lusers have to pay for common apps like editors, office suites, FTP clients, and so forth if they don't shop carefully. Then it's several steps to download and install. Not like nice easy yum install foo, or apt-get install foo.
dinotrac

Jul 18, 2006
4:19 PM EDT
tc -

Now you're the one spreading FUD. Hardly appealling given how much the bad guys use it against us.

If you are a Windows user, you can run a slew of free software. Off the top of my head: OpenOffice, Firefox, MySQL, PostgreSQL, apache, the Gimp, virtualdub, audacity, putty, winscp, sharpdevelop.

Now, why you would want to run all of that free stuff on top of that platform (except maybe virtualdub, which is a Windows only app), is beyond me, but people do as they do.
jdixon

Jul 18, 2006
5:49 PM EDT
Dino:

You forgot Filezilla and DVDShrink, to name two.
grouch

Jul 18, 2006
6:30 PM EDT
You have to be willing to make that sacrifice and give up Windows Genuine Advantage in order to use GNU/Linux. Some people just can't stand that much pain. They have psychiatric episodes if their computer doesn't report their actions to the great and powerful wizards of Redmond at regular intervals.
dinotrac

Jul 18, 2006
6:44 PM EDT
jdixon -

I have no doubt that I left out a lot more than that!! And DVDShrink, btw, is good stuff. Not familiar with Filezilla.

grouch -

Yup.
jdixon

Jul 19, 2006
4:35 AM EDT
Dino:

Filezilla is a Windows only ftp client, released under the GPL.

DVDShrink supposedly runs under Wine, though I've never tested it.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 19, 2006
11:48 AM EDT
I tried DVDShrink under WINE, couldn't get it to work. I'm sure it was just me.

K9copy is close, but it doesn't take care of the menus, subtitles, multiple language tracks, etc. It just does one, that's all the author says he means it to do. "To not facilitate piracy."

Personally, I have different region coded DVDs that I would like to watch on the TV. DVDShrink would be perfect for that, since they all have multiple language, subtitle, and such, and I would like that preserved.
jdixon

Jul 19, 2006
12:52 PM EDT
Bob_Robertson: > I tried DVDShrink under WINE, couldn't get it to work. I'm sure it was just me.

There's a howto for getting it working under Ubuntu which you may find useful:

http://mrbass.org/linux/ubuntu/dvdshrink

Please let everyone know if it helps or not.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 19, 2006
2:55 PM EDT
Reading the page, I can already see a problem. I tried to make DVDShrink read the disk, rather than ripping it first. No wonder it didn't work.
tuxchick2

Jul 19, 2006
4:12 PM EDT
"K9copy is close, but it doesn't take care of the menus, subtitles, multiple language tracks, etc"

? I use K9Copy, and it works fine. You can preview individual tracks, then decide if you want to include them or not. You can select which language tracks you want to keep. You can make an exact copy, minus the silly encryption. Not sure about region encoding, which is another tard thing it would please me to nuke.
grouch

Jul 19, 2006
5:09 PM EDT
I prefer to just play the main title with mplayer, without the garbage such as the misleading FBI warning and the tons of ads, dumping the audio and video to separate files. Do a little calculation with bc, use tcrequant to scale the video to fit a normal DVD, mplex the audio and resized video, dvdauthor to make a proper directory structure, burn with growisofs. Then I can toss the original, garbage-infested DVD onto the shelf to collect dust until my cleaned DVD gets scratched.

If the cartel wasn't so nasty, I'd buy more DVDs. My collection would fit in a shoebox, as of now. The rest of my movie watching is by C-band satellite.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 25, 2006
8:05 PM EDT
Ok, I've followed the instructions give above for Ubuntu, with Debian Sid, and it's working. Thanks for the pointer.
SFN

Jul 26, 2006
5:23 AM EDT
Actual quote:
Quoting:Not sure about region encoding, which is another tard thing it would please me to nuke.

MS Spin:
Quoting:Linux Users Advocate Nuking of "Tards"
jdixon

Jul 26, 2006
6:55 AM EDT
> Ok, I've followed the instructions give above for Ubuntu, with Debian Sid, and it's working. Thanks for the pointer.

Well, that takes care of my good deed for the day. :)

I'm glad it's working.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!