Claims can be dangerous.

Story: Novell SUSE Linux 10 ArrivesTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
salparadise

Jul 19, 2006
10:00 PM EDT
Congratulations to Novell on this release. For the sake of accuracy, the version of OO is not fully MS-Office compatible. We have a spreadsheet at work(designed on Excel) that doesn't work properly in OOCalc (though it's a lot closer than on the plain ordinary OO). But closer isn't enough when you're using a spreadsheet that records, orders and processes the entire financial system for a voluntary organisation and all its funders (some of whom want their money tracked down to each pencil and piece of paper bought).

And for the record, xgl is an utter waste of time. Wobbly windows and drop shadows. Oh pleeeease. And it makes the menus in firefox more or less unusable, the right click desktop menu unreliable and the mplayerplug-in crashes firefox everytime I tried to use it. Other than that it does... ...wobbly windows and drop shadows.

Just what had been going through my mind every time I used a computer... oh, if only my windows wobbled.

And the claim (not made in this article but heard elsewhere) that you can plug more or less anything into it and it will work was blown out of the water when my (bought from a linux shop on the basis it would work with any distro using a 2.6 kernel webcam) does not work when plugged into SLED10, just as it didn't work when plugged into any Fedora, any Ubuntu prior to Dapper, any Suse, Slackware, Mandriva and so on. In fact, only Mepis has made it work "out of the box".

Ought to watch out for claims and sweeping statements. They almost always prove to be unfounded. Or, there's always someone like me around with some piece of arsey hardware or code ready to throw some sand in the vaseline.
grouch

Jul 20, 2006
5:57 AM EDT
salparadise:

It's sad to see that even some volunteer organizations are utterly dependent on a single, predatory vendor for their software foundation. Pretty much ties your fate to Microsoft's whims.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!