How is this again?

Story: Ubuntu 6.06 Is Current Desktop Linux ChampTotal Replies: 29
Author Content
devnet

Jul 20, 2006
7:31 AM EDT
Quoting:In addition to outperforming Linux rivals as a desktop OS, we found that Ubuntu is a solid choice for server deployments—provided, at least, that the sort of graphical management hand-holding that one would expect from Microsoft's Windows Server or from Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise Server isn't a priority.
Wait, weren't we just talking about desktops? Why do you go off on a three+ paragraph tangent discussing why Ubuntu rawks for the server? Isn't the title of the article "Ubuntu 6.06 Is Current Desktop Linux Champ"? Ok...we'll let this one slide...you were just rambling a bit.

Quoting:On our laptop test machine, hibernation worked without requiring any tweaking, although we ran into trouble when the amount of RAM in play on our test machine exceeded the size of our swap partition. (Our Thinkpad was stacked with 1.5GB of RAM, and the swap partition that Ubuntu created for us during installation was 500MB.)

Also, when putting our laptop to sleep, our machine's hard drive woke up in read-only mode and required a power cycle to bring it back

Odd...the distros I run on my IBM T42 don't have that problem. How is it again that Ubuntu is the champ? When reviewing for you "champ" did you forget to include this tidbit of info when making your final decision? I just find it odd that there are a handful of distros out there that do this right and Ubuntu doesn't.

Quoting:During tests, we were able to install VMware's VMware Player, Sun's JRE, Abobe's Flash player and Acrobat Reader, the Opera Web Browser and a handful of other proprietary applications just as easily as any other Ubuntu component.
Holy Cow! This is just like a handful of other distros who've been providing these packages too! Wow, Ubuntu sure goes out of its way to come to par with that handful of other distros. Of course, this statement, when in context, makes it sound as though other distros can't/won't/don't do the same...which is why I made fun of it here.

Closing Thoughts Hooray Ubuntu! eWeek lovers you! Even though you failed to do what other distros are doing on a couple of points...eWeek still lovers you the mostest! Why? Well, the article doesn't say...really it only gives two weak reason why it considers you da champ (see 1 & 2 below).

Let's take a look at the case eWeek makes. You can break it down into two points they try and make for the reason they crown Ubuntu King Desktop:

1. Hardware Configuration

Quoting:Overall, though, we found hardware configuration tasks in Ubuntu rather straightforward, requiring less fiddling than other Linux distributions we've tested.

Easier than Mandriva? Highly unlikely. The Mandriva Control Center [url=http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=688&slide=10&title=mandriva 2007 alpha screenshots]http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=688&...[/url] is by far the easiest tool available for Linux desktops to configure hardware. I'd say they're a bit off on this assumption. I've found Mandriva to work better on laptops than Ubuntu (at least IBM variants...which we use at work).

If you're talking of hardware detection? That's another story...I'd have to agree with you on that one.

2. The Ubuntu Community is better organized

Quoting:While other popular distributions, such as Fedora and OpenSUSE, also benefit from volunteer, third-party packaging, the Ubuntu community appears to doing a better job keeping itself organized.

Not sure about this one...I'd say SuSe and Fedora are justifiably just as organized and perhaps even a bit more organized when it comes to community. Perhaps what they meant to say was that the community COULD BECOME MORE INVOLVED with Ubuntu...not that the community was better organized. That I would believe.

Those are the only two claims that eWeek makes for its case. These two points supposedly make Ubuntu stand out as a desktop champ. Someone should kick the person who wrote this article in the tail. It offers no justification for a choice of Desktop Champ and just rambles on with no apparent direction in accordance with the title/subject.

I'm not saying Ubuntu ISN'T the desktop champ...it is a solid and fantastic choice for Linux desktop...I'm just saying that the article itself is poorly thought out, poorly written, and really doesn't justify any claim eWeek has made. When making a claim that Ubuntu is the best desktop around, they should justify that with quantifiable results. That being said, I won't cancel my subscription...I'll just remember the author of this article for future reference and read with increased scrutiny.

I also won't uninstall my Ubuntu desktop. I will however, make sure that the author receives wind of this thread at lxer.

grouch

Jul 20, 2006
8:09 AM EDT
devnet:

There is one magic answer to all the questions you raise here: It's eWeek. Over and over, it proves to be an indicator of the mixture of facts and cluelessness that is bubbling around the news media regarding Linux and free software. There is a lot of education yet to be done, but at least "upstart" no longer appears in every article about GNU/Linux and I only counted 1 instance of "Microsoft".
devnet

Jul 20, 2006
11:20 AM EDT
hrmm...I didn't have a subscription until one was given to me at my last job...no need to cancel it until it runs out I guess :D
jason_brooks

Jul 21, 2006
2:40 PM EDT
Hey guys, Jason Brooks here. Ubuntu Linux is my top Linux distribution, and the one I've taken to using on my work and home machines, because its software installation and management tools are the best of any distro I've used. I've been running Linux as my desktop OS since around 2002, and it's my daily experiences using Linux that informs my opinons.

I've run SUSE, Fedora, Debian and Gentoo as my main distro for extended periods of time. SUSE and Fedora do boast good third-party packaging resources, but these resources aren't as well organized as are those of Ubuntu. Some of Fedora's many repository providers produce packages that conflict with one another, I've experienced this, where you get warring package upgrades as your various repos battle it out. For more, see: http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/en/sn-using-repositories.h... I was excited about rpmforge.net, but that effort seems to have stalled. I wrote about rpmforge here: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1812808,00.asp

SUSE always comes with a ton of packages, which is great, but I've never been impressed with their installation and update tools. They need tools as good as yum and apt. I'm about to review SLED, maybe I'll love what they've done there, but I wasn't impressed with the software tools in OpenSUSE 10.1.

I liked Gentoo's software scheme a lot, but I didn't like waiting to compile, and I wanted some more QA.

I love apt-get, and I love the organization that the debian project has going. Debian packages tend to be old, although I've recently been having good success with debian and apt-pinning.

So... Ubuntu is a Debian that makes an attempt to be a good desktop. Ubuntu has a great community, and I've found it very easy to find answers to my Ubuntu questions out on Internet.

In my review, I focus on Ubuntu's great package tools and availability, and its great community and its cluefulness when it comes to taking advantage of volunteer resources. It's these advantages that make Ubuntu my choice, and, in my opinion, the best desktop linux distro out there.

jdixon

Jul 21, 2006
5:34 PM EDT
> I've been running Linux as my desktop OS since around 2002...

Snort. Newbie. :)
jason_brooks

Jul 25, 2006
11:41 AM EDT
I'd been hoping we'd hear back from devnet...
devnet

Jul 25, 2006
2:24 PM EDT
I had disaster recovery at http://lobby4linux.com ...I'll revisit when I get some time...I should have some spare moments this evening later on....you have my word.
devnet

Jul 27, 2006
10:47 AM EDT
Jason,

Responding to your post a bit...great packaging being available doesn't make the desktop...period. I can make a Slackware 10.2 box have the best desktop ever without installing a single package (installing from source).

If having packages ready to install were the deciding factor, Debian would win hands down. Now if you're talking about having updates installed via Ubuntu using their tray like icon to launch and install...I'm afraid it isn't as stellar as Fedora who with their indicator, had this first. It was ported over to debian as I recall.

Quoting:Debian packages tend to be old
Depends on what repo you're getting them from....and if you don't have something you like...you get it and make the deb yourself. Debian has vastly improved thanks to stimulation from Ubuntu.

As far as communities? They have the most active community, I'll give it that. But they don't have the best manuals/user guides. They don't have the friendliest community that I've found. I've found many other close knit communities that provide a much better Linux experience out there. So this point really doesn't merit the award either.

As far as docs...let's talk docs. Compare Ubuntu Documentation to PCLinuxOS Docs:

Ubuntu: http://help.ubuntu.com/ PCLinuxOS: http://www.mypclinuxos.com/downloads/index.php/

Which one do you think a new desktop centric user would want to read? Now you see what I mean. It's not that the Ubuntu ones are bad..they're just not the best ones available out there IMHO. Just think...there is no paid community producing those documents for PCLinuxOS...there's no company behind the distro. The community freely created that document in less than one year. THAT is a community I can get into (and have: see http://mypclinuxos.com my project site for pclinuxos).

So when I saw you writing based on criteria such as packaging and community...it really irked me...I find this to be an ignorant 'follow the herd' sentiment. Everyone loves Ubuntu because everyone loves Ubuntu...not because of the merit...just because everyone is using it. Of course, this is just what I see and my opinion once again...but it's one that is shared by many who have been in Linux for quite some time (circa 1995).

If you changed your criteria to "best based on size and activity of community" I think I might agree with you. The article though was quite a bit disorganized IMHO and needed more focus. You went off on way to many tangents throughout the whole thing. By the time your points were brought around to being succinct you lost your reader and the points were weak. Not that they were strong points to begin with as I've discussed in this post.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

For a desktop to be valuable and the best...it doesn't have to be popular. Just remember this in the future.

devnet
jason_brooks

Jul 29, 2006
12:29 PM EDT
Linux distros are all built of the same stuff--what sets them apart from each other is how well they're put together, how well they provide for installing and managing the software bits that comprise them.

So, great packaging does indeed make the desktop. Every popular distro has good packaging. OSes are for running software on your hardware. If it's not easy to get that software, the OS isn't going anywhere. Period.

I'd never heard of this PCLinuxOS--I looked at the site--this a distro you've built yourself? That's great, and I can see why you'd be sensitive to claims that popular distros are better than unpopular ones, but the fact remains: popularity does matter. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect

When you bring home a printer that doesn't work with Linux right out of the box, for instance, do you think it's more likely that you'll find help making it work for Ubuntu or for PCLinuxOS? Right? How about when you're looking for someone to provide support for your distro?

Now, you say that people love Ubuntu because people love Ubuntu. Where did the chain of love begin? The reason is very simple: Debian is an excellent distro foundation but one that lacked focus -- Ubuntu brought a desktop focus to Debian.

Excellent distro foundation (from Debian) + Tight desktop focus (from Canonical) = Popular Desktop Linux

Anyway, I'm downloading your distro's iso right now. If you want, you can send me an e-mail at jason_brooks@ziffdavis.com and tell me what sets PCLinuxOS apart from the rest of the pack -- maybe I'll do a mini-review of it in my blog.
jimf

Jul 29, 2006
1:28 PM EDT
> I'd never heard of this PCLinuxOS

Concidering that it's 9th in the rankings at Distrowatch that's amazing jason. You'll also notice that there have been quite a few reviews. Guess you don't get out much.... Or just don't bother past the top three. Well, at least you have heard of Debian ;-) ...

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pclinuxos
sbergman27

Jul 29, 2006
2:36 PM EDT
> Concidering that it's 9th in the rankings at Distrowatch

Which is really just a good example of why distrowatch rankings mean nothing... unless you are willing to believe that PCLinuxOS and Elive Linux are more relevant than RedHat.

I don't work at eweek and definitely keep up with things Linux, and PCLinuxOS lands solidly in my niche distro category.

sbergman27

Jul 29, 2006
2:49 PM EDT
Jason,

Good point about network effects. One thing that has really impressed me about Ubuntu and its community is the level of synergy apparent in the Ubuntu forums. For a group that is normally assumed to be newbie dominated, it's about the most productive and helpful Linux forum I've ever encountered.

Its the community as much as the distro that has so impressed me with Ubuntu.
jdixon

Jul 29, 2006
6:16 PM EDT
> Every popular distro has good packaging.

Care to try again.

By the definitions you're using, the #11 distribution on Distrowatch does not have packaging. Neither do most of it's derivatives, which include #15, #16, and #17.

> unless you are willing to believe that PCLinuxOS and Elive Linux are more relevant than RedHat.

For the home user, PCLinuxOS and Elive are definitely more relevant than RedHat. Red Hat does not release a home use distribution.
jimf

Jul 29, 2006
6:26 PM EDT
> Which is really just a good example of why distrowatch rankings mean nothing.

I agree that they are only meaningful in a very limited context, but, I fail to see how one can totally ignore the site. DistroWatch is definitely the most comprehensive database of available Distros...
grouch

Jul 29, 2006
11:30 PM EDT
>"When you bring home a printer that doesn't work with Linux right out of the box, for instance, do you think it's more likely that you'll find help making it work for Ubuntu or for PCLinuxOS?"

Yes. I mean, they both use Linux, that wee little kernel thing that runs so many devices all over the world without people even realizing it. If that printer is supported by Linux, it's supported by PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, Debian GNU/Linux, Red Hat Linux, etc., etc.
jimf

Jul 29, 2006
11:56 PM EDT
Think he is talking about the support grouch... In which case pclinux or kanotix, or even mepis is better than ubuntu.
grouch

Jul 30, 2006
1:20 AM EDT
Oh, you mean, as in someone to help set it up?

I took the "work with Linux right out of the box" to mean a 'driver' issue, which of course would be dependent on the way the kernel was compiled. I don't know of any distro not using a modular kernel nowadays.

Ease of setup could very well be the value-add of a particular distro. LFS will definitely not hold your hand, while several of the big ones might pop up a dialog box as soon as the printer is plugged in.
jason_brooks

Jul 30, 2006
10:43 AM EDT
Here's an example, guys: http://home.arcor.de/wittawat/pixma/

This page provides info on how to get Canon's Pixma MP scanner working with sane--these instructions could work for any Linux distro, but there happen to be step-by-step instructions for Ubuntu.

Here's another example--you want to run VMware Workstation on your Linux box. If you're not running a distro and kernel verison for which VMware bundles drivers in its installer tarball, you're going to have to compile the drivers. You can do this on any distro, but some make it easier than others -- like typing sudo apt-get install build-essential to get the packages you need to compile the driver. Of course, Ubuntu is a supported distro of VMware, so you don't even need to take this step -- unless you're already on Edgy or you compile your own kernel.

Hey though, why the apparent hostility? Like, is it that the Ubuntu Man is trying to hold down the mini-distros you guys love? Look, if PCLinuxOS et al are better than the Ubuntus and Gentoos and Fedoras of the world, then these obscure/up-and-coming distros will grow in popularity and become more widely used. That's what's great about FLOSS -- we've all got choices.

Also, I'm installing PCLinuxOS on a VM right now. If I write something about it, I'll post a link in this thread.
jdixon

Jul 30, 2006
11:00 AM EDT
> but there happen to be step-by-step instructions for Ubuntu.

And I just recently pointed someone to step by step instructions for getting a program working under wine that was written for Gentoo. This is true for any distribution.

> You can do this on any distro, but some make it easier than others -- like typing sudo apt-get install build-essential to get the packages you need to compile the driver

And some come with the packages you need to compile the driver already installed.

> you want to run VMware Workstation on your Linux box.

http://madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=4265

for Slackware, which is not officially supported by VMware.

> Hey though, why the apparent hostility?

Your claims as to Ubuntu's greatness are exaggerated, to put it mildly. Yes, it's a good distribution. Is it the be-all and end-all of distributions? No, it's one distribution among many. There are half a dozen or more distributions which are on par with it, and dozens more not significantly worse. Many of those may meet a specific user's needs better than Ubuntu.

jason_brooks

Jul 30, 2006
11:04 AM EDT
Which is your favorite, jdixon?
jdixon

Jul 30, 2006
11:05 AM EDT
> Which is your favorite, jdixon?

Slackware.
grouch

Jul 30, 2006
11:29 AM EDT
I knew jdixon was crazy! Slackware is for crazy folk [tm].

(Anyone who thinks that is a slur just hasn't used slack long enough. It holds a special place in the heart of many people, just like the first love.)

This business of crowning a "[c]hamp" is just wrong. Each user should try on distributions until one feels right. The tailoring can then begin.

This is not the MS world, where you pick a shrink-wrapped brick and you're stuck with it. You can literally transform one distribution into another without loss of data. (It's much easier to simply install another distro, but you could do it piecemeal, if you're hard-headed enough).

jdixon: >"Many of those may meet a specific user's needs better than Ubuntu."

That cuts to the heart of it. A specific user should be encouraged to try out as many different distributions as it takes to find the one that 'feels right', whether that user is an individual, a whole business, a department, a class or a government.

The "Champ" is that distro which meets a specific user's needs best, in the opinion of that specific user.
jason_brooks

Jul 30, 2006
11:46 AM EDT
I agree that what's best is for the individual user to decide. Our reviews in eWEEK offer up our opinions, based on our testing -- I think it's important to cover multiple options, which is why I write so much about Linux in the first place. The vast majority of our readers run Windows, after all.

The Linux distros that have my attention, right now, are Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RHEL, CentOS, SLED, SLES, OpenSUSE, and Gentoo. These are the distros with which I most often come into contact, and, I guess, the ones that've most impressed me so far, not only as end-product distros, but for the development, support and maintenance structures that surround them, and for their status as spawning grounds for other distros. I'm going to write soon about rPath, as well.

I still cover Windows, Mac, Solaris (and way too infrequently, BSD), along with virtualization software and a handful of other topics -- there's only so much time to devote to distros, but I'm interested in your opinions about which ones deserve more attention.

sbergman27

Jul 30, 2006
11:55 AM EDT
Jason,

Please stop being so reasonable. You are destroying the cherished image that we have around here of Eweek writers as a bunch of mindless, incompetent, Microsoft shills who'll do anything, and spew any falsehoods, for a click. ;-)
jason_brooks

Jul 30, 2006
11:58 AM EDT
Please don't doubt our evil -- maybe more interaction with you guys will mean more clicks... :)
helios

Jul 30, 2006
12:07 PM EDT
and PCLinuxOS lands solidly in my niche distro category....

You stand alone counting your niches I would say. I've used pclos in a three city, 30+ computer network for over a year and have not only found it reliable, even the most unrepentant slobbering computer idiot in my company can use it. Everything works out of the box...even my nasty Brother printer/fax/scanner/bottle washer/valet machines were a snap to set up.

I believe "niche" is a word people like to toss around in a derisive manner like 'liberal" or "conservative". While the actual word leaves no bruises, the connotation is obviously negative.

We have 12 year old kids and 86 year old great grandmothers using pclos with little and most times no need for level 2 support. They even used the community written wiki to set up their networks and dialup situations. One elderly lady went as far as to set up a multi-hub file sharing (read Screw-You-Cary-Sherman) network using nothing but the pclos wiki. The "mine is better than yours" banter gets tiresome after a while, but the facts is the facts...if pclos is a niche distro, we have a spectacularly large niche. Tens of thousands of new users alone in the first half of 2006...of course, I hear they have a hell of a marketing guy working for them. That can make all the difference in the world. Of course, so can having a sugar daddy who supplys millions to his pet cause between space flights. Sure wish I could tap into some of that.

h
jimf

Jul 30, 2006
12:38 PM EDT
> Oh, you mean, as in someone to help set it up?

No, actually just somewhere to go and ask for advise when you run into a problem... Like the pclos, or kanotix forums, or IRC channels maintained by various Distros and groups. Chances are very good that you can get immediate help.
jimf

Jul 30, 2006
12:45 PM EDT
> your opinions about which ones deserve more attention.

Jason.

This is 'a little' dated', but, gives my take on it... http://jimf-linux.blogspot.com/2005/10/why-debian.html
jdixon

Jul 30, 2006
3:31 PM EDT
> The Linux distros that have my attention, right now, are Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RHEL, CentOS, SLED, SLES, OpenSUSE, and Gentoo.

Your list sounds heavily skewed towards the business user. RHEL, CentOS, SLED, and SLES are by definition aimed at the business market. Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, and Gentoo are more general purpose distributions, but of those only OpenSUSE and possibly Ubuntu are really suited for the home user. I'd no more point a new home user to Fedora or Gentoo than I would Slackware.

You might want to take a look here:

http://www.homedistro.com/

It reviews distributions from a home user perspective. Not surprisingly, none of it's top three distributions are on your list. You may also want to check out their "Looks Almost Like MSW" list, as none of them are on your list either.

As for major distributions, you really should take a look at Mandriva.

Editted to correct stupid typos.
devnet

Jul 31, 2006
6:58 AM EDT
Quoting:When you bring home a printer that doesn't work with Linux right out of the box, for instance, do you think it's more likely that you'll find help making it work for Ubuntu or for PCLinuxOS? Right? How about when you're looking for someone to provide support for your distro?

PCLinuxOS. I don't have to ask anyone about it...I run through the wiki online or download a copy of the user manual. Then I run through the PCLinuxOS Control Center to point click my way to setting up a printer...it's the easiest setup I've ever seen for a printer in Linux. You really ought to try it out before you state what it can and can't do.

http://pclinuxonline.com/wiki

Check that link out and see what I mean. The new desktop user will be able to step their way to setting up their desktop. We wrote that with new users in mind...I've not seen a wiki comparable in desktop distros.

Quoting:So, great packaging does indeed make the desktop. Every popular distro has good packaging
Agreed on the second sentence. Jury is still out on the first. PCLinuxOS is a popular distro. It has great packaging. But this doesn't set it apart from say...Berry Linux which has terrific packaging but seems to not be the most popular distro out there. Good packaging is only part of the deal. If you're speaking of 'great packaging' meaning the number of packages available...I'd have to say that you're misrepresenting yourself when you say that...because great packaging doesn't mean # of packages either.

Quoting:I'd never heard of this PCLinuxOS--I looked at the site--this a distro you've built yourself?
Nope...Texstar, who used to package Mandrake RPMs unofficially back in the day is the creator.

Quoting:You can do this on any distro, but some make it easier than others -- like typing sudo apt-get install build-essential to get the packages you need to compile the driver.
So if I'm reading your point correctly...if distros make it easy to use packages via apt-get...they're setup better because it is easier to install stuffs? Emerge be damned right? Forget Yum? Conary should keep arguing with Trebek? This doesn't make sense...but if we're arguing this point...PCLinuxOS uses apt for rpms. So the point is moot...apt is easy. I can install just about anything you can in Ubuntu in the same fashion...if I can't, I put the request in and within 24 hours I will be able to...Texstar is very motivated to provide whatever applications one needs.

Quoting:Hey though, why the apparent hostility? Like, is it that the Ubuntu Man is trying to hold down the mini-distros you guys love? Look, if PCLinuxOS et al are better than the Ubuntus and Gentoos and Fedoras of the world, then these obscure/up-and-coming distros will grow in popularity and become more widely used.
No hostility here...we're debating. Last I checked this was still allowed in the Linux community :)

Really though, your implication of hostility says something. Many people who love and use Ubuntu also state this whenever someone challenges their distro. I've posted on my blog many times about Ubuntu and have been outright attacked by Ubuntu community members. Many state that I don't know what I'm talking about (that's a good one...I have two degrees and have been working with Linux since 1995). Many outright slander me and my entire look on Ubuntu...even though my look is given strictly as an opinion. It's pretty funny how it happens...but I don't mind. Like I said, I normally don't jump onto the bandwagon and hum KoomBayah with everyone. I let actions speak louder than words.

Let me share a link that is a bit dated (1 year or so old) of an experiment I did with a new Linux desktop user. I was a MEPIS user when I did this experiment and loved the ease of use SimplyMEPIS provided. After the experiment was over, I changed to PCLinuxOS because that's what the new Linux desktop user chose...The experiment proved to me what Linux desktops needed to do to get on peoples comptuers. The versions of the distros are outdated but the premise is the same. http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/79-Experiment-The-...

Please pay specific attention to the Ubuntu Review and check out the comment section where my wife (the new Linux user...we'd only been married for a year and a half) is BASHED by many Ubuntu users. This is what I spoke of when saying that the community doesn't merit the rating you gave it.

Here's a follow up to that article addressing the comments: http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/81-Animosity-Unfou...

And yet another Ubuntu Follow Up I posted later on geared toward new Linux users: http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/128-Why-Ubuntu-isn...

And another point...just because an operating system or distro is better doesn't mean that it will grow in popularity and overcome all other distros...the grapevine does not make or break a distro. Proof? Just look at OS/2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Os2 ...much better than anything available during its time...but not adopted and widely used...so it "warped" itself into oblivion.

Quoting:As for major distributions, I you really should take a look at Mandriva.
Agreed. Mandriva is a fantastic desktop distro and is one of the major heavy hitters out there. It's an experience not unlike PCLinuxOS...especially since PCLOS is a fork of Mandrake/iva 9.2 version...so it holds many roots from version 9.2 (such as the control center...but it's been hacked quite a bit/added to/removed etc.)

All of this discussion and I'm still not convinced that Ubuntu is the best desktop centric distribution. Original reasons of packaging are moot. Plus you forgot all together to address how a distro can require a power cycle during the review and not receive negative marks for it. You changed from the community angle to "tight desktop focus". This point doesn't make sense...Mandriva has had desktop focus since it's inception as Mandrake. PCLinuxOS forked from Mandrake/iva when they started to drift from this focus after 9.2 and continues to be all about desktop. So tight desktop focus is a reason it is the clear winner? I don't agree.

Quoting:I'd never heard of this PCLinuxOS--I looked at the site--this a distro you've built yourself? That's great, and I can see why you'd be sensitive to claims that popular distros are better than unpopular ones, but the fact remains: popularity does matter. See [HYPERLINK@en.wikipedia.org]
You're actually speaking of Metcalfe's law here...and don't get me started on that. For every single application of this law, one can contradict it with a situation where it doesn't work.

Don't believe me? Try this....as a mailing list get's more users, it gets more popular. However, it doesn't become a better mailing list because of it, more users = more noise...with a huge influx of users, one may get lost in the posts. Many networks, particularly online communities such as newsgroups and mailing lists, suffer from negative factors as the number of members and connections increases. I'm not the only one who see's problems with Metcalfe's law of which network effect is a parent principal: http://spectrum.ieee.org/print/4109

That's why I stated Ubuntu is popular because it is popular. No other reason. It's the sheer volume of users that are driving it now. I don't doubt the network effect premise is at work, popularity does drive a distro up the chain (if there is a 'chain)...I just doubt that quantity also means quality...# of users does not = quality desktop as a rule.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!