Quick, Gather Your Kids! Run For Your Lives!

Story: IBM ships Lotus Notes for LinuxTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Tracer

Jul 23, 2006
4:56 PM EDT
I hate Notes just as much as I hate Exchange. Proprietary stuff with proprietary APIs, and the system still crashes or runs too slow. You also can't put special scripts on very easily like I can whip up with Perl, Bash, or PHP.

If I were to run any kind of business, large or small, here's what I'd put in there instead:

* Linux mail servers in a cluster with a single mail database and a failover database cluster (through replication) * Postfix SMTP Mail Sending Service * Courier POP and IMAP Mail Downloading Service * OpenLDAP Accounts * Postgrey Spam Fighter Script * ClamAV Mail Filter * SpamAssassin * NNTP Service to emulate "public folders" on a private intranet * SquirrelMail on HTTPS - for those who want a webmail at conferences * Thunderbird Email Client and Net News Client, or Evolution * Sunbird Calendar Client (or Evolution) * Wildfire Jabber Server for instant messaging * Tar backup on an 8 hour schedule * Instant message scripts to alert for problems

Sander_Marechal

Jul 23, 2006
10:07 PM EDT
Sunbird is way too alpha for productive use. I'd use Evolution with it's built-in calendar rather that Thunderbird in an office enviroment (even though I prefer TB myself). The rest sounds great. I wish my company used it. Unfortunately we're stuck on Notes/Domino and an MS-only client network with Citrix :-(

I managed to get Ubuntu 6.06 working on my laptop luckily. The only thing I now have to do through Citrix is Notes and MSSQL Enterprise Manager.
cheshire137

Jul 24, 2006
9:49 AM EDT
Having a Linux version of Notes will be nice for the area in my company that I work in, since I'm in a Fedora Core island in a sea of XP, and the rest of the company uses Notes for everything.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 24, 2006
1:33 PM EDT
There's one thing about Notes that annoys me to no end. I can't set it to sensible defaults for e-mail like I do with Thunderbird. That is:

- Convert everything to plain text. I don't want your HTML - Let me reply inline (with the >'s before the original post) and not only above the message

The rest is bad, but bearable.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!