The concept of novice somehow doesn't register...

Story: Ironing out Linux wrinklesTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
r_a_trip

Jul 24, 2006
2:39 PM EDT
Most users new to Linux forget this and expect Linux to operate exactly as Windows does with the result that they become frustrated by seemingly non-sensical quirks that make getting Linux running properly almost impossible.

Why is it that Windows powerusers think they are proficient in every OS that crosses their road when they only have intricate Windows knowledge? It is something I can't really grasp, although I had the same deficiency years ago. It actually is illogical to asume that all OSes are identical.

grouch

Jul 24, 2006
2:49 PM EDT
r_a_trip:

I'd much rather introduce to GNU/Linux a complete greenhorn who is absolutely positive he or she can "mess up" any computer, rather than any so-called power user or programmer who only works in MS Windows.

That greenhorn will halt on every error and seek assistance. That 'power user', convinced that he is master of all things computing, will bull ahead with all the finesse of a drunken rhinoceros on a wet clay bank, piling inappropriate solutions to assumed problems on top of each other. The latter type of user is the one most likely to dump the mangled mess and go running back to familiar ground, while the former will sing praises for the relief attained.
jimf

Jul 24, 2006
3:13 PM EDT
> Why is it that Windows powerusers think they are proficient in every OS that crosses their road when they only have intricate Windows knowledge? It is something I can't really grasp, although I had the same deficiency years ago. It actually is illogical to asume that all OSes are identical.

Same here... It became rapidly apparent to me that Linux was very different than Windows, and I took over a year to completely transition, and, acquire the knowledge to handle Linux. Any hot shot Windows user would be wise to take the time to make the transition before shouting about their expertise... They're in for real culture shock.
dcparris

Jul 24, 2006
4:09 PM EDT
I had tried GNU/Linux once, back around '96. Didn't get very far. When I tried Red Hat 5.1, I was gearing up for a new PC. I bought a book in advance, and tried to figure out what hardware to get first. That was one of those books where the HCL was an index. ;-) Anyway, I bought everything to be compatible, except for the ATI All-in-Wonder Pro (w/t.v. tuner card). Only the tuner card never worked. I got an external modem - the whole 9 yards. Everything worked fine.

I had already read through a good chunk of the book when I finally got the new box. I already knew how to partition my drive. I still used the book, but it was _very_ easy! It took me a lot longer learn my way around the other things, desktop and admin tools, but otherwise, I found that preparing for the jump was a good thing. I always recommend it.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 24, 2006
5:16 PM EDT
My first experience with a Unix was SunOS 4 at a new job, so it was a completely new experience. I wasn't trying to shoe-horn it into any previous task-set or configure it to fit my expectations.

I think that made all the difference. Not that I was a homogenus OS user either, having tried RSTS/E, TRS-DOS, CP/M, MS- and IBM-DOS, IBM VM and MVS, Mac OS 6 and 7, I'd at least seen Apple AUX in operation, and had shamelessly pirated Windows 2, 3 and 3.11.

Like the first three postings above suggest, I didn't just plow through expecting that my prior knowledge would be directly applicable. I tried things, knowing enough how NOT to do real damage, but if the real answer wasn't obvious I didn't hesitate to ask for help from the systems admins. They, in return, preferred that I ask than that I just try things.

I would have loved the reference books that are available now that weren't then. The entire Dummies line, no matter how condisending, at least present the absolute newbie with _something_, and this immense volume of helpful websites is, well, immense!

But the phrase "culture shock" is absolute true. The hardest thing to convince a Windows user of is that they are not alone. They _won't_ get themselves into a position where they have to "reinstall from scratch" by accident, they won't lose all their data randomly, and it really has already been done before.
flufferbeer

Jul 24, 2006
5:34 PM EDT
This LXer brought the following LinuxQuestions.org link earlier today and am bringing this here again, entitled 'What programs would you like to see ported to Linux?', http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=105...

Of special note for the several above LXer thread replies is this one from the LQ forum by LQ user pid (not 'parent ID' !!) which pretty much says it all quite well :

-- BEGIN QUOTE-- pid " I just gotta say, I really believe that alot of people feel that they want these programs, often because they only really know the windows environment and its associated software. Personally, I have always felt that the best way to really get accustomed to something is to force yourself to use it on a daily basis. For instance. For me to really get a handle on linux, I just went ahead and made it my primary OS for my home machine. If I need to do something in a program, I either HAVE to learn the program, or go find one to use that is available.

Often times, I find that this method will produce some interesting effects in my computing life (Necessity is the mother of invention...). If you use The Gimp all the time, soon you will find that you could probably accomplish everything that you would ever use Photoshop for. And guess what? If you couldnt, then you can CONTRIBUTE! In this fashion, you will soon find that The Gimp (or any other piece of open source software at that) can far surpass what is being commerically offered!

So for my own part, I will continue to force myself to adapt to a new environment, only in this way can I fully appreciate the uniqueness that IS linux!"

NOW, someone hand me a map, and point me to Mount Samba! I will climb this beast! -- END QUOTE-- (source: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=105...)
grouch

Jul 24, 2006
5:50 PM EDT
Just in case someone wanders by who needs the same pointer as the one you quoted, here are 3 to "Mount Samba":

Samba's home http://www.samba.org

Using Samba http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/index.html

Using Samba, 2nd Edition http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba2/book/toc.html

The 2nd Edition (all online) is probably most helpful to admins.
boborooster

Jul 24, 2006
7:05 PM EDT
Reviewed the above and the boborooster strongly agrees with grouch and those following.

IMHO trying to go get a Linux From Scratch system working for some of us, was even more an ordeal than our first learning Windows 9x, Linux kernel 2.4.x, or whatever OS. For those who may not know, LFS (wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_From_Scratch) is a Linux distribution where someone can actually build a Linux system from scratch, i.e., from source code. Doing this made us feel like novices, and many questions had to be asked (and quite frankly are still being asked).

It seems that there are two opposing trends within the background for the article.

1) The dive into the deep-end approach that flufferbeer brings just above. Confidence does not always help here, Those who think they are "know-it-alls" will just end up drowning and give up if nobody throws them a livesaver ring, just as r_a_trip writes on top. That LQ pid probably got hold of some good lifesaving information and was able to get some good answers without giving up. Good for him!

2) The approach of "wading in shallow water first" approach. This is the approach that maybe some so-called "Power Windows Users" could use. Start with a few F/OSS apps for Windows such as on The OpenCD I mentioned in another thread, OpenCD link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TheOpenCD. Maybe do a separate Linux distro install on a spare PC with an easy Beginners distribution. The Xandros and Linspire (or whatever else) distros may be just the thing for those who "expect Linux to operate exactly as Windows does" as r_a_trip writes above.

The middle road seems to be best. If one is not afraid to take some calculated risks, ask questions, and read -- emphasis on the "calculated" part -- one readliy learns something. Think that this is in line with grouch's experience, dcparris's, others' and with those of us using LFS. One thing I and some others continually learn is that you get back as much from USING F/OSS as the effort you put into it. Think that our above collective experiences come together on this :-) -le boborooster dit

grouch

Jul 24, 2006
7:35 PM EDT
boborooster:

LFS is also an excellent way to get a taste of how much work the various distributors do to make things easier for us.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 25, 2006
11:45 AM EDT
Has anyone mentioned (I didn't see any, but this is the easiest way to broach the idea) "recycling the old machine"?

Lots of people are finding themselves buying a new machine, something with a wide-screen or flat-screen, wireless keyboard, huge HD, etc. Right now is when Microsoft *aught* to have had VISTA out in order to take advantage of the trend, but up theirs.

Seriously, there has not been a better time for "recycle the old machine" kinds of Linux installs. The Win98 machine with the CRT is now available to put GamesKNOPPIX in the CD drive and give the kids a new toy to play Frozen Bubbles on.

The "just try it" is I agree the best way. I didn't give up Win95 on my "desktop" until 2000, even though I'd been using Linux as both server and "desktop" since 1995, I was using different machines for different things. Having a different machine to just play with without endangering what someone is already familiar with and works for them would reduce the "scare" factor of *NIX to nil.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!