Linus biased?

Story: Fsf Should Stand Firm on Patents Despite Pressure from Large ...Total Replies: 5
Author Content
Libervis

Aug 02, 2006
6:05 AM EDT
I gotta admit it never occured to me that Linus's constant objections to GPLv3 could be influenced by the fact that he works for the organization funded by the two companies who have objections as well.

Is there a chance that Linus is really biased on this matter?

grouch

Aug 02, 2006
6:11 AM EDT
I think that his bias is simply as he has declared, that he feels a software license should confine itself to software and not attempt to reach into the hardware. The only evidence I could offer for what I think is the collection of his public comments.

Keep his technical background in mind. His current stand fits well with his classic arguments with Tanenbaum and Stallman.
sbergman27

Aug 02, 2006
7:48 AM EDT
Keep in mind that for years he refused job offers from Linux related companies and organizations, stating that he did not want anyone to think that they could pressure him into doing anything that he would not otherwise do. He finally did accept a position with OSDL. But if you think his employment there infuences his public position on the matter, you haven't been observing Linus for long enough.

I have 100% confidence in that.
dinotrac

Aug 02, 2006
7:59 AM EDT
Let us not forget, however, what a bias is.

Bias is not dishonest. Bias, is, in fact, completely honest. It is the effect of a person's experiences and environment. Every human being is biased. We cannot help it.

I think the real question here is whether Linus has a conflict of interest, and that's hard to tell, but I think not.

I suspect Linus has a few dollars tucked away already, which helps to buffer him from the pressures of any single employment. I doubt very much that Linus would have much trouble finding another job, which puts him comfortably in the "Screw you" category with regard to unreasonable employer demands.

In fact, you could make a case that Linus's employment situation biases him in the other direction:

If he wishes to retain the ability to go wherever and work for whomever, his best bet is probably to preserve his, er, "Linusness". He has a reputation that is worth money. I doubt that he would wish to squander that.

Libervis

Aug 02, 2006
9:22 AM EDT
Well it's good to hear that, I suppose, since I don't really much like his "Linusness" regarding his philosophical position.. :P

dinotrac:

Quoting:Bias is not dishonest. Bias, is, in fact, completely honest. It is the effect of a person's experiences and environment. Every human being is biased. We cannot help it.

True. I would then say that when we talk about being biased we talk about being biased more than a person normally is biased. It's when one particular thing in persons life (such as his employement for example) influences his views alot more than anything else normally would.

grouch

Aug 02, 2006
9:37 AM EDT
Libervis:

A dependable bias is what we trust. Torvalds didn't suddenly take the views he espoused about GPL3d2. He has been consistent for years. Stallman hasn't suddenly reversed course regarding his intentions for the GPL. He, too, has been consistent for years.

If either had suddenly and recently decided that the only way to become Supreme High Overlord of the Known Universe with Mountains of Riches and Fame was to take their respective stances, then this clash of wills would have been a surprise.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!