Uh-oh...

Story: Nuremberg Hopes to Create 'Linux Valley'Total Replies: 2
Author Content
wjl

Aug 03, 2006
3:44 AM EDT
cio.com site> "The group is targeting young companies interested in developing new Linux-based or open source-based software applications." cio.com site> "Companies locating in the new complex will pay no rent for the first three months, and an "attractive" rent after this period." cio.com site> "LBCN memberships range from 100 euros (US$128) per year for an individual to 500 euros per year for an institution and 1,000 euros per year for a company, depending on revenue."

Sounds to me as if the buzzwords "Linux" and "Open Source" are used to draw money out of "startups"... Let's see:

nbi.de site> "The Campus Coaches provide member companies their diverse professional experience free of charge. The coaching takes place part time, i.e. requests are processed with the condition that the coaching can be realised within a reasonable time frame. We assume that most requests can be handled electronically."

Sounds to me as if Richard Seibt, former CEO of SuSE, and his fellowmen are sitting around at home, answering email to the guys who accept that kind of compulsory membership... Now if that is how a CEO ends, what happened to the staff then?
dcparris

Aug 03, 2006
8:12 AM EDT
Here in the US, we call it an incubator project, and it is frequently run by the government or possibly by local business associations. There is an incubator located on the backside of a college campus here that offers low-rent office space to the businesses in it. There is a reception desk and everyone has their own office.

I feel like I'm missing something in your comment. Why do you refer to "compulsory membership"? It seems to me like joining most other associations - you pay to join and gain the benefit of expert advice. Try hiring Mr. Seibt as a consultant and see what you pay. I'm just not sure why the negative tone of your comment.
wjl

Aug 03, 2006
10:57 AM EDT
Don,

you are right - my tone wasn't nice, and I feel sorry for that.

But if you have to join a club to rent a room or office, it sounds kind of immoral to me.

Plus if someone is changing from IBM to SuSE, that could still be called a "challenge". But then changing to consulting the small guys who don't earn money yet, and at the same time asking money for that "service"? And that without even visiting them? Almost like retirement...

I wouldn't go as far as to call him a loser, but for someone constantly doing CEO talk and all that "enterprise" blabber, that *is* like a way down, isn't it? Would you trust (the advice of) a guy like that for your company?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!