AMD considering open-sourcing ATI’s graphics drivers

Story: New Direction for Open-Source SoftwareTotal Replies: 20
Author Content
henke54

Aug 05, 2006
2:08 PM EDT
Quoting:Lastly, and remember you heard it here, AMD is strongly considering open-sourcing at least a functional subset of ATI’s graphics drivers. It’s time for X Window System, OpenGL, and client virtualization for which ATI binary drivers aren’t available to escape the ghetto of the 1980s-era framebuffer. And what a boon for PR. If AMD’s graphics cards were the only ones with open device drivers, it might affect a buying decision or two.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/08/02/32OPcurve_1.html
jimf

Aug 05, 2006
2:12 PM EDT
Cool :D
sbergman27

Aug 05, 2006
2:15 PM EDT
Coolo moolo. :D

(Well, I had to outdo Jimf.)
jimf

Aug 05, 2006
2:20 PM EDT
I don't care Steve, as long as they do it :)
sbergman27

Aug 05, 2006
2:26 PM EDT
Jim. I know. Ain't it grand?

I could have danced all night! I could have danced all night!

Err. Can't remember the rest of that...

;-)
jimf

Aug 05, 2006
4:10 PM EDT
Lol... Perhaps it's for the best...
NoDough

Aug 07, 2006
9:07 AM EDT
Now might be a good time to find the appropriate contact at AMD and drop them a line in support of open-sourcing their drivers. I would imagine that something along the lines of... "if you open source your drivers, my next video card will absolutely positively be an ATI!" ...would carry some weight.
sbergman27

Aug 07, 2006
10:59 AM EDT
AMD has already said that they will be dropping the ATI brand, too. So your next video card, in that case, would likely be an "AMD Radeon". Sounds like AMD is not skiddish about breaking with ATI's old policies. Also looks like they want to distance themselves from the old ATI's reputation.

Fingers crossed.
AnonymousCoward

Aug 07, 2006
4:40 PM EDT
Steve, uh, you do know where the act of crossing one's fingers came from, yes? (-:
Libervis

Aug 07, 2006
5:10 PM EDT
Yeehaw! Let's hope they follow through. Definitely, my next card will be ATI.. er, AMD if they do it. :)
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 07, 2006
9:14 PM EDT
I contacted them about talking to someone about their ATI acquisition and I got a very nice no reply e-mail saying..

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your email. I have connected with my colleagues regarding your below request and confirmed we are unable to participate in this interview opportunity at this time. However, my colleagues did ask that I provide you with the below statement, attributable to Hal Speed, AMD.

“AMD remains committed to the open source community, including Linux and Zen. We will evaluate any changes to Linux driver support for ATI products during the integration phase in the next several months.”

So, at least I tried right? I really thought I had a chance to talk to someone, sniff, sniff. darnit!

:-)

jsusanka

Aug 08, 2006
3:44 AM EDT
sweeeeet! - will buy nothing but ati if they do that and recommend nothing but ati if they do that
dcparris

Aug 08, 2006
5:01 AM EDT
> Sounds like AMD is not skiddish about breaking with ATI's old policies.

Do you mean "skiddish about braking with..." or "skittish about breaking with"? :-D
sbergman27

Aug 08, 2006
6:31 AM EDT
The ladder, of corse.

Anywun else found that teh innernet has hurt there speling? I used to be better, but then I loosed it.
henke54

Aug 08, 2006
8:22 AM EDT
>AMD has already said that they will be dropping the ATI brand, too.

obviously not yet .... http://www.pcpro.co.uk/custompc/news/91650/amd-stays-hand-ov...

jdixon

Aug 08, 2006
8:27 AM EDT
> I used to be better, but then I loosed it.

The next hit TV show, coming soon to a network near you... Loosed.
dinotrac

Aug 08, 2006
9:13 AM EDT
Rev -

I think skiddish is right in the context of AMD.

Took my Athlon 64 box apart, and there were Socket 939 marks all over the place. Fishtails, donuts, the whole shebang.
tuxchick2

Aug 08, 2006
12:35 PM EDT
jdixon, it's not like people are payed to spell correctly. If only they had went to grammar school.
jimf

Aug 08, 2006
12:49 PM EDT
> If only they had went to grammar school.

Tuxchick, they'ed only have went if they was payed. Obviously they wasn't.
tuxchick2

Aug 08, 2006
1:03 PM EDT
Taking a brief timeout here to actually be serious- I think a lot of folks write more in a few weeks online than they did in all their years in school.

Timeout over. You may now return to your regularly scheduled language abuse.
henke54

Aug 10, 2006
6:49 AM EDT
Quoting:Intel posts Linux-friendly GMA 3000 drivers Intel has released open source drivers for the GMA X3000 and 3000 graphics engines it's building into its G965, Q965 and Q963 chipsets. According to the company, the drivers provide both 2D and 3D rendering under Linux.

The chip giant said the release represents "the beginning of an ongoing commitment" to open source development work in co-operation with the many minds behind the X and Mesa communities for 2D and 3D acceleration, respectively. Direct rendering is supported through Linux kernel extensions.
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/10/intel_posts_g965_lin...

;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!