I don't like to break the law either...

Story: Free software to keep you away from stealingTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
ajt

Aug 11, 2006
10:08 AM EDT
If I go into town to buy Microsoft XP Pro, Microsoft Office Pro and various required tools to make a Windows box safe and secure I won't get much change from £600 (retail). That's more than my PC cost to buy.

Okay I could save a lot my installing Firefox, OO.o and various "free" AV/Anti-Spyware tools, but then I may as well replace the OS as well, it's not as if I like Windows anyway.

If I install Debian GNU/Linux I get a POSIX like operating system (which I want), and all the same free tools I would have installed on Windows to make it usable anyway. I give a few quid to Debian, and I have a decent OS and it's all legal.
NoDough

Aug 11, 2006
10:23 AM EDT
I should know this, but...

How does a quid compare with a pound? Same thing?
jimf

Aug 11, 2006
10:25 AM EDT
Ahh... There is a fine line of differentiation here. Mettavihari thero really doesn't say anything about 'breaking the law'. He is giving this as a solution for Buddhist who would prefer to protect the five precepts. In this case stealing.
techiem2

Aug 11, 2006
10:42 AM EDT
Hey! There's another Linux tagline!

"Linux: Helping you follow your religious convictions."
jimf

Aug 11, 2006
10:46 AM EDT
Stealing is certainly condemned by every religion that I'm aware of.
dcparris

Aug 11, 2006
11:41 AM EDT
NoDough: > How does a quid compare with a pound? Same thing?

Same thing. It's like saying "a buck" instead of "a dollar".
dcparris

Aug 11, 2006
12:00 PM EDT
> "Linux: Helping you follow your religious convictions."

You'd be surprised how many religious people actually violate copyright laws. Many of them without thinking about it. Also, some people do their religious organization a "favor" by "bringing the software from home", as if they are donating the media and license. That should raise alarm bells, horns and flashing strobe lights. Yet, many church (or other organization) leaders never even think about the legality of their software.
jimf

Aug 11, 2006
12:05 PM EDT
> You'd be surprised how many religious people actually violate copyright laws.

Heh... Not really. But then how many of us 'really' follow our convictions to the max (I'll give you a pass on that one Don). I know that I am a very poor Buddhist, but I have to at least try.
jdixon

Aug 11, 2006
12:17 PM EDT
> But then how many of us 'really' follow our convictions to the max

Very few. And even those of us who try fail miserably. Fortunately, failure is allowed for, at least in traditional Christianity.
jimf

Aug 11, 2006
1:45 PM EDT
> Fortunately, failure is allowed for

A pardon, yes. But, that don't mean you can leave the class :D...
dcparris

Aug 11, 2006
2:46 PM EDT
> (I'll give you a pass on that one Don)

Thanks, but I'm sure my wife would differ with you, at least sometimes. :-) Put another way, I have my moments.

I do, however see FOSS as "helping me follow my convictions". I can share without guilt. That is soooo liberating. I literally feel like I have been emancipated from one of those mental torture cults. "Cursed are they who share their software! That's _my_ cash, er um, sacred cow!"

FOSS is so much more graceful: "Here you go. Why don't you use this program? And by the way, feel free to use it how you like. Oh, and modify it, if that pleases you! And did I mention that you can share it with your friends? Sure, you can share your modified version too!"
grouch

Aug 11, 2006
5:16 PM EDT
That's the insidious plot of the madman Richard Stallman, corrupting innocent people by getting them to share the source instead of hoarding it for untold wealth and fame!
jimf

Aug 11, 2006
6:08 PM EDT
Hey Don, did grouch drink 'all' of the punch? Probably ate all the cookies too :(
dcparris

Aug 11, 2006
6:26 PM EDT
> Hey Don, did grouch drink 'all' of the punch? Probably ate all the cookies too :(

Why no, Jim! Just bring your jug with you when you come. Mason jars are o.k., too. ;-) I'm afraid I'm the one who got the cookies.

Note to self: Find out why jimf hasn't heard of my voracious appetite - legendary from Mississippi to New Jersey, in Michigan, California and Washington state. Not to mention a few foreign countries. I don't get into many cafeterias any more. In fact, I don't know if we have any left in Charlotte. Also, Dad laughed at the Marine Recruiter when he came to the house. A week after I arrived at Parris Island, the US was declared a "debtor nation", according to the newspaper headline. Over the next 6 years the national debt soared into the trillions. After I got out, the national debt began declining somewhat. Coincidence? Maybe. Government cover-up? Sorry, that's classified information.

That ought to teach you to ask who ate the cookies. ;-)
jimf

Aug 11, 2006
9:19 PM EDT
> That ought to teach you to ask who ate the cookies. ;-)

Well, I didn't really ask,.. More like accuse... Sorry grouch. Nice of you to fess up Pastor, but, now I know for sure it was you 'and' grouch that was slurping the spiked punch :D
dcparris

Aug 11, 2006
9:48 PM EDT
Yes, but for medicinal purposes only. :-D
grouch

Aug 12, 2006
5:35 AM EDT
You're supposed to slurp the punch? I didn't need the goggles, snorkle and spandex?
dek

Aug 12, 2006
7:47 AM EDT
Rev: for medicinal purposes only. :-)

Along the lines of "Take a little wine for your stomach's sake", eh? ;-)

Don K. (seminary grads learn these kinds of things) ;-D
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 12, 2006
8:41 AM EDT
I am not sure where this fits in to the conversation but one of things that I have always been proud of is that as someone who uses and promotes the use of FOSS that I do not steal anything. I do not want too nor do I have too.

I am proud of that and I have made it a point to say so when talking about FOSS with someone new, whether it be a family member, friend or even more importantly a stanger. There are many people out there that relate the words "free" and "not paid for" to stealing or more easily said as, "Look at what I got and I didn't have to pay for it!" Which can hint at theft in the mind of the listener.

When I recently, finally got my father to sit down and actually listen to me explain what FOSS is I had to repeat myself several times on that very issue before he got the fact that I did not steal anything. He really thought that when I said I used free software that I was using software I did not pay for, or stole. I had to back all the way up and explain that "free" does not mean "stolen".

I realize that I may be making a mountain out of a molehill but this is something that is very important to me. You don't have to be religious to have high moral standards and I am in no way suggesting that anything said in this forum has said so. I'm just saying how I feel, that's all, honest.

I am proud (as all of you should be as well) that I choose not to steal things, anything, and by using Linux and FOSS I am re-enforcing that moral.

Scott

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!