That's not right

Story: Microsoft Office for Linux 'inevitable'Total Replies: 11
Author Content
perseis

Aug 18, 2006
3:19 PM EDT
Who can top this slimy simile?

Microsoft office in Linux is like mustard on a porterhouse steak.
dcparris

Aug 18, 2006
5:17 PM EDT
Putting Microsoft Office on GNU/Linux is like putting a Yugo engine in a Rolls Royce. It's also like putting green peas in a nice fruit salad.

O.k., those aren't so slimy, but the mustard on a porterhouse steak sounds a lot better than MS Office on GNU/Linux! At least I could stomach that one.
jimf

Aug 18, 2006
5:57 PM EDT
Like pouring pea soup on your Rolls Royce upholstery...

Slimy enough for you?
dinotrac

Aug 18, 2006
6:01 PM EDT
Rev -

>Putting Microsoft Office on GNU/Linux is like putting a Yugo engine in a Rolls Royce.

Nope.

It's more like putting one of those old GM V-8 diesels from the 80s in, well, anything.

Remember those pieces of junk? Big and impressive when you first got them, quickly disintegrating to junk.

Seems GM cut a few corners taking regular gasoline V-8s and re-engineering them into diesels. That don't work, boys and girls -- lotsa more stress in them diesel cylinders with those very, very high compresssion ratios.

dcparris

Aug 18, 2006
9:08 PM EDT
> Remember those pieces of junk?

Not really. I was never a big fan of cars, other than liking the looks. But especially in the 80's, I wouldn't have known much. The guy at the Subaru dealership ('88) had to prove to me there was such a thing as a 3-cylinder engine - in their Justy. Even now, I've heard the word "hemi" in advertisements, but I know more about the WIndows kernel than about a hemi. And that ain't sayin' much, either.

back to the similes...

...like putting strawberry jam on your escargot.
jimf

Aug 18, 2006
9:47 PM EDT
> ...like putting strawberry jam on your escargot.

The other way round please Don ...
dinotrac

Aug 19, 2006
1:27 AM EDT
rev -

>but I know more about the Windows kernel than about a hemi.

Keep quiet about that -- you might get your jarhead credentials revoked. So you'll know..."hemi" usually refers to the famous Chrysler 426 -- Chrysler's second generation hemi, and a big winner on the race tracks.

Tehcnically, though, it refers to any engine with hemispherical cylinder heads. The hemispherical design (as opposed to a flat or wedge-shaped design) promotes more power and smoothness at lower compression ratios. As I found out in my old Q-45 , it also makes changing spark plugs a royal PITA -- they are located smack in the middle of the hemisphere, which means they live in a tunnel in the head.
number6x

Aug 19, 2006
6:29 AM EDT
Microsoft office on GNU/Linux is like vomit flavored salad dressing.
dcparris

Aug 19, 2006
1:23 PM EDT
> Keep quiet about that -- you might get your jarhead credentials revoked.

Not so. I was a grunt. We just dreamt about riding anywhere. Otoh, I can tell you all about my 2x25x7.5 powered marching feet. That's 2 feet x 25 miles x 7.5 hours. That's how fast we hiked with 50 lb packs and full combat gear. Not a hemi in sight on that trip. ;-)
herzeleid

Aug 20, 2006
12:32 PM EDT
With all due respect to some of those who labored mightily to bring forth all these engine metaphors, putting ms office on linux would be *nothing* like putting a crappy engine into a high quality vehicle, for the simple reason that an office suite is nothing like an engine.

An office suite is just another app, analagous to, say, a CD player, while a web browser suite is like air conditioning. The linux kernel is the turbocharged DOHC v12, and will remain so.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 21, 2006
7:12 PM EDT
Microsoft will never make Office for Linux because doing so would be to admit defeat.

Gates will never, NEVER admit defeat of his beloved Windows franchise.

Maybe Microsoft will do so after Gates leaves, but Gates will remain Chairman of the Board after he steps down as chief software architect. That means the company still does NOTHING without his say-so.
jimf

Aug 21, 2006
8:59 PM EDT
> Gates will never, NEVER admit defeat of his beloved Windows franchise.

Heck, Bill is into the Hurst thing these days. http://www.forbes.com/2006/08/21/gates-foundation-medianews-...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!