it's choice

Story: Becoming a free software developer, part II: Free software ...Total Replies: 2
Author Content
purplewizard

Aug 20, 2006
8:36 AM EDT
I'm not intending this in anyway as negative to women it just occurs to me though that the reason women are under represented is largely choice. They don't choose (and fewer people do full stop) to do engineering in real numbers even software which is done in clean office environments (I know most engineering is but there are perceptions otherwise). If they don't choose to do software professionally there are a smaller resource of women likely to share their professional skills in writing free code.

It's totally choice?
watux

Aug 20, 2006
3:21 PM EDT
Rosalyn appears to be after the factors which make this so-dominating choice a very common one.

As with so many other pursuits, a second entire viewpoint should be good value. And it can be such a different viewpoint, too. The perfect approach from a FOSS perspective, no?
Bob_Robertson

Aug 21, 2006
6:53 PM EDT
I've got a female friend who is a software developer, programmer and technical support guru.

Funny thing is, she doesn't bring a "fresh perspective" any more than any other individual does. There isn't this _Legally Blond_ "Oh, gee, no one thought of that before" environment, she's simply a quite competent programmer. She thinks logically, works through things, asks questions same as other people, reaches working results.

Personally, I think it's a combination of public school and expectations. Public school, which teaches that some subjects are "boy" subjects and some are "girl" subjects, and expectations that somehow a "girl" will bring ideas that no one else has thought of just because it is a "girl". Both are prejudiced, and both are false.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!