Uhm... are we having mental problems?

Story: GNU/Linux for Christians: Kubuntu-based Ichthux Beta5 is outTotal Replies: 33
Author Content
ugh

Aug 28, 2006
11:54 AM EDT
Why on earth would there be any need for a "Christian Linux"? Is this for the crowd that buys "Christian spoons" and "Christian carpets"? Maybe for the heavy users of "Christian tobacco" or those that eat "Christian yogurt"?

It's an OPERATING SYSTEM! It has no religion. The listings of "added features" I saw mentioned could have been shipped as a (very small) package. Why does it need to be a new "operating system"? Or is there going to be a "Jesus-like 'ls'" that wasn't mentioned? Perhaps the filesystem will repel evil? Oh, oh! If I use this version of Linux, I will not need to go to church, will I?
jimf

Aug 28, 2006
12:11 PM EDT
> I will not need to go to church, will I?

No, they wouldn't make you do that (no matter how much you might need it) , but they have a right to use and modify Linux, just like you do.
tuxchick2

Aug 28, 2006
12:12 PM EDT
Goodness, maybe you should go back to bed and try getting up on the other side. Specialized Linux distributions abound; that's one of the strengths of Linux. Anyone can roll-their-own.

Not sure about the "Ichthux" name, though- ich is a fungus that is the bane of aquarium owners everywhere. :)
jimf

Aug 28, 2006
12:23 PM EDT
Ichthys is Greek for fish, an early Christian symbol. I suppose they were trying to a ux on the end for 'u'buntu Linu'x'? Christians do a lot of questionable things, but spreading fungus would be a new one... Highly unlikely :D
salparadise

Aug 28, 2006
1:13 PM EDT
If it makes them happy... (more to the point, if it makes them into Linux users...)

dcparris

Aug 28, 2006
2:22 PM EDT
> Perhaps the filesystem will repel evil?

I suppose it is possible to force a delete of any Windows partitions. :-)

[Edited to add...]

> Why on earth would there be any need for a "Christian Linux"?

Gee, wouldn't it be great to have all the software Christians need already bundled with the OS? To give it a look and feel that they might find appealing? The difference between passing out CDs with software pre-installed and CDs that make no mention of what software they can use might make the difference between a new, um, convert and one who decides it's just not for them. ;-)
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 28, 2006
4:00 PM EDT
Hey ugh, there are Distributions for anyone and EVERYONE. Linux about choice, period. Pun intended.

I personally think it is great that there is a distro aimed at Christians. I think that there should be a distro for every single person on this planet. You do not have to share in someones beliefs in order to respect them.

You have the freedom to feel the way you do, I respect that. But do not look down on others beliefs just because you do not share in them. It is a lesson I have learned, and re-learned.

To respect yourself is to respect others. If you do not respect yourself then you cannot respect others.

Period
tracyanne

Mar 05, 2007
6:32 PM EDT
Making a Christian, and now a Muslim version of Ubuntu is just good marketing. And Ubuntu seems mostly to be good marketing - people buy marketing not good - so if a few religionists buy into Linux, that can't be bad, the more Linux users the better, in my opinion.

Bob_Robertson

Mar 05, 2007
9:07 PM EDT
While I personally object to SWORD being installed by default with one of the KDE extra meta-packages in Debian, it has been useful once for looking up a quote.

But if the fundamentalists start going on about how Linux uses "icons" and "demons".... :^)
swbrown

Mar 05, 2007
9:15 PM EDT
> Why on earth would there be any need for a "Christian Linux"? Is this for the crowd that buys "Christian spoons" and "Christian carpets"?

So, funny story, was at my ex girlfriend's house maybe 8 years ago or so, her parents were /extremely/ Catholic, and she was showing them Linux and one of the games on it (some bouncing ball game, forget the name) and maybe 10 seconds into it she loses and it plays an "Ohhhh SHIT!!" sample. Which.. didn't go over well. :) So, I guess it's for those people that have tolerance issues.
salparadise

Mar 05, 2007
10:07 PM EDT
These sort of people have next to no understanding of scripture or mercy or compassion. Worst of all is the way they singularly fail to show the same patience shown to them by God to the people around them. So having been thus wooed and loved they go about demanding, dissapproving and threatening eternal punishment and finger pointing. God preserve us from the moral finger pointers.

Mostly, people like this do more damage to the faith than all the fallen pastors and pilfered collection plates put together.

So yes, "tolerance issues" is a pretty good way of calling it.
tracyanne

Mar 05, 2007
11:17 PM EDT
quote:: God preserve us from the moral finger pointers. ::quote

I don't think there's any danger of that happening anytime soon.

It's interesting the way in which Cannonical have really hooked into the marketing paradigm. It's more than just the free postage paid CDs, it's the way in which they've managed to capture peoples imaginations with a distribution for all sorts of demographics - Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu Xubuntu, the Multimedia Edition, the ultimate Edition, the Christian Edition, the Muslim, edition - I'm waiting for the Zen Buddhist Edition, and the Wiccan Edition. But when it comes down to it the Ubuntus don't really offer anything that's not available in any other Linux, in fact a lot of other Linuxes deliver far better ease of use, and much better functionality out of the box. Linspire, Xandros, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, for example, all offer the new user a much better experience.
salparadise

Mar 06, 2007
2:14 AM EDT
The Zen Edition!

What is the sound of one compiler compiling?

jdixon

Mar 06, 2007
2:51 AM EDT
> and the Wiccan Edition.

I expect ESR is working on that one as we speak. :)
swbrown

Mar 06, 2007
3:37 AM EDT
How about the Heathen Edition? It could come with SCO's UNIX kernel with a support contract from Novell.

Scott_Ruecker

Mar 06, 2007
4:07 AM EDT
I have a friend that is a Pagan, no kidding, and when I told him about the different versions of Ubuntu he said he wanted a "Paguntu".
SFN

Mar 06, 2007
4:42 AM EDT
Someone should look into forking SWORD. It's a great learning tool that could be applied to any book. I'd do it but I have no idea what I'm doing...I mean...I'm really, really busy.
bigg

Mar 06, 2007
4:51 AM EDT
What we really need is a way to open up Christianity. What I mean by that is that the different Bible translations tend to be very restricted when it comes to distribution, and as for the big name commentaries like Barclay (not a favorite of fundamentalists) and music, the restrictions are worse. "Christian Linux" won't work because of all these restrictions.

Spread the Gospel, trust in God, use your copyright to make sure you get all your money. The Church should be the ones promoting openness. I know of a church with 15 members that got a letter from an attorney demanding that they pay for the songs they sing or they would be taken to court. Definitely a conflict with the principles of the Linux community.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 06, 2007
5:22 AM EDT
I would rather teach critical thinking and logic, rather than mysticism by whatever name.

Myths make good tools for teaching, but going further than that is irrational.

"I tried to upgrade to Windows Vista, Father, but it complained that I didn't have enough memory."

"Fear not, my son, God will provide the RAM."

richo123

Mar 06, 2007
5:38 AM EDT
More choice here:

http://parker1.co.uk/satanic/
DarrenR114

Mar 06, 2007
5:43 AM EDT
Bob_Robertson,

Your scenario is flawed: Any person with a Faith as deep as that would not even consider going with Vista. Vista is the spawn of XP. Even in its name, MS-Windows XP is revealed to be the Anti-Christ. Remember the codename for XP before it was released? Cairo => Chi Rho (the Greek names of the letters X P). XP has been the shorthand for Christ for almost 2,000 years. Therefore, no Christian of True Faith would touch MS-Windows XP or Vista with a ten foot pole.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 06, 2007
5:50 AM EDT
DarrenR114:

Wow man, that is going a little far and wide into the depths of history just to make a point..

I doubt that more than 1% of Christians know or would make such a correlation, and they all probably already use XP anyway. I respect your reasoning but you realize that your argument will probably keep only 5 to 10 people on the planet from using Microsoft software.
DarrenR114

Mar 06, 2007
5:59 AM EDT
I'm thinking I should have included <humor> tags ...

Personally, I don't use XP or Vista because they fall short on the S5 Evaluation ...
dcparris

Mar 06, 2007
6:34 AM EDT
--------------------------->

Scott's Head

(It went right over Scott's head). Sorry Scott. The devil made me do it. :-D
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 06, 2007
6:51 AM EDT
Your right. :-)

Like my grandfather used to say, "The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits."

I am living proof of it..

LOL
tuxchick

Mar 06, 2007
7:32 AM EDT
Darren accidentally left out the excessively important, vitally scientifical numerology where everything related to Vista adds up to 666.
dcparris

Mar 06, 2007
8:13 AM EDT
Wasn't there actually one of those things that worked out to Bill Gates as the anti-Christ? Ah yes! Here it is:

http://www.zejn.si/~natan/666.html

(or one of the things like that)

;-)
jimf

Mar 06, 2007
8:40 AM EDT
> Wasn't there actually one of those things that worked out to Bill Gates as the anti-Christ?

Don cha just love numerology ):D

The real problem is there are just too damned many candidates for the role...
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 06, 2007
8:48 AM EDT
But I really wanted George W. to be the anti-Christ..darn.

Bill may be evil but at least he isn't an idiot too. Bill can do things like use decent grammar, possibly know what he is talking about...
tuxtom

Mar 06, 2007
9:00 AM EDT
Jesus Christ, a theme would do just fine. Not to worry...it is based on Kubuntu, so it will remain an insignificant sect.

Some more to consider: Zionix, Mormonix, Krishnix (sounds like cereal), Jehovux, Xenux (Scientology's distro...it uses two metal cylinders instead of a keyboard and mouse), Amnix (formerly Amishbuntu...the only distro that runs with no electricity)
hkwint

Mar 06, 2007
9:59 AM EDT
How about Hindix, Budhix, Atheix (especially for West-Europe), Putix (for the Kremlin), Bushix (If Putin has it, he wants it too!) Creatix, Applix (for the Jobs-believers), WindiXP (For the Bill-believers) and so on.

I assume $fortune in Christian Linux has turned the -o (offensive) option off anyway...
DarrenR114

Mar 06, 2007
10:31 AM EDT
Scott,

You forget, in the Ioanian Epistles (John I,II, and III) there is more than one anti-christ (anyone who claims the authority of Christ for himself is an anti-christ). And in Revelation there are two beasts. So you should be able to see that Bill G is one (with 666) and W is the other (Kind of interesting that W is actually the Greek letter omega - as if he's trying to supplant the true Alpha and Omega.)
SFN

Mar 06, 2007
11:21 AM EDT
Quoting:(For the Bill-believers)
"Billievers"?

Quoting:And in Revelation there are two beasts.
Would this then be the first mention of two backs?
tracyanne

Mar 06, 2007
12:35 PM EDT
quote:: “Ubuntu is a broad church!” Shuttleworth wrote in an email. “We manage to keep both GNOME and KDE folks happy and collaborating constructively, so this should be no trouble at all.” ::quote http://parker1.co.uk/satanic/

So according to Mark Shuttleworth, Ubuntu is a church, so ugh if you really want to avoid church, you are simply going to have to use a different Linux Distribution.

quote:: And in Revelation there are two beasts.

Would this then be the first mention of two backs? ::quote

Naughty Revelations, I'm just glad no ones gone in for quoting some of the X rated text from Solomon. I don't think that sort of thing would be allowed on a family site like this.

I'm not sure though that Ubuntu, the Satanic Edition, is really all that Satanic, as it seems more of a kitsch Christian vision of Santanism, and seems not at all like the true Satanist idea of Satan - "The only law shall be 'Do no harm'". Actually that would probably be a pretty good description of Linux and FOSS. Maybe Linux and FOSS is really Satanic.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!